We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA - LV - Grand Canyon and other national parks in 2 weeks

hk
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
LA - LV - Grand Canyon and other national parks in 2 weeks

This is my second road trip (first in Iceland) and first time to drive in US. It makes me a little bit nervous because the driving rule is different (left-hand wheel vs right) and also the people in US drive fast.

Anyway, I have planned the itinerary as the following, hope you guys can comment on it.

3/31 Arrive LA at noon, stay in LA.

4/1 Whole day LA, mainly for jet lag adjustment, probably a Laker game at night?

4/2 LA to LV

4/3 whole day in LV

4/4 LV to Hoover Dam, then Kingman to Seligman (Route 66), then Grand Canyon South Rim (depends on how much time left), stay in Tusayan

4/5 Whole day South Rim

4/6 Left South Rim from East entrance, Cameron, Horseshoe Bend, Page, Lake Powell (depend on how much time left), stay in Page

4/7 Antelope Canyon tour (11:30am maybe but seems wasted the early morning?), Kayenta, Monument Valley, stay in the View (if still available.

4/8 Monument Valley, Mexican Hat, Goosenecks State Park, Natural Bridge National Monument, Blanding and Monticello, Canyonlands National Park (The Needle), Stay in Moab

4/9 Whole day in Arches National Park, stay in Moab (seems too much time in it?)

4/10 Dead Horse Point, Canyonlands North Entrance, stay in Green River

4/11 Goblin Valley, Capitol Reef National Park, Torrey, Route 12, Bryce Canyon National Park (depends on time), stay in Bryce Canyon City (is it too much for this day?)

4/12 Bryce Canyon National Park, Zion National Park, stay in LV

4/13 LV to LA, spend the rest of time in LA.

4/14 LAX, back to Hong Kong

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA - LV - Grand Canyon and other national parks in 2 weeks

HI

Americans drive fast? Wait till you get to Germany ;)

Good route but no need to stay in Vegas 2 times.

3/31: Arr LA

4/1: LA

4/2: LA-Kingman

4/3: Kingman-GC (one overnight often enough. You can see a fair bit of south rim on your way to Page.)

4/4: GC-Page, Take your time.

4/5:: Horseshoe bend in the morning, Upper Canyon after that and the drive to Monument Valley

4/6: MV to Moab via Moki Dugway etc.

4/7: Moab (Arches)

4/8 See Canyonland Island in the Sky and dead Horse Point SP before the drive to Torrey

4/9: Torrey=Bryce www.scenicbyway12.com

4/10: Bryce-Zion

4/11: To Las Vegas via Valley of Fire SP

4/12: Las Vegas

4/13: To LA

4/14: Home, planning your next trip

Tet

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,075 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA - LV - Grand Canyon and other national parks in 2 weeks

I lke Tet's route, not sure I could add anything to it!

SWT

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,257 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LA - LV - Grand Canyon and other national parks in 2 weeks

Other than if your desperate to visit Hoover Dam you can still do it with a divert between LA and Kingman or from LV, or on route from Zion to LV, after VoF, in a long full day.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA - LV - Grand Canyon and other national parks in 2 weeks

You can always visit Glen Canyon Dam since you will be in Page. Just as big and impressive as Hoover, but usually less crowded and the tour is only $5.

hk
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LA - LV - Grand Canyon and other national parks in 2 weeks

Thanks for you guys advice ! Really appreciate !

Yeah I may follow Tet's route in this trip. For Hoover Dam, I think the route from Kingman will be longer, so I will visit it in the LV day, I guess half day would be enough?

For Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell, should I do it on 4/5? But the day is quite packed, so probably I will skip it?

Also for booking the rooms in Monument Valley, the closer to the staying date, the cheaper the price if there are rooms available (ie. booking now for April = $200 vs for March = $160), I am tempted to take the bet.......but if I lost, I need to stay in Mexican Hat....Is Mexican Hat a good option ?

for 4/8, it seems it will be a long drive and packed day, not to mention if I want to visit Goblin Valley....

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,257 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: LA - LV - Grand Canyon and other national parks in 2 weeks

Hi again.

Half a day is fine for Hoover Dam, 45 mins there (and back), the longest tour is an hour and an hour for pictures from view points.

Another option for MV is Kayenta, there is a Best Western, Howard Johnson and Holiday Inn, ok for one night.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA - LV - Grand Canyon and other national parks in 2 weeks

Staying in MV esp with The View makes an unique experience you won't get in Mexican Hat or Kayenta imo.

8. Re: LA - LV - Grand Canyon and other national parks in 2 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:15