We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days NYC and Boston Round Trip

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
365 reviews
Save Topic
6 days NYC and Boston Round Trip

Final leg of our USA trip next July. Pick up hire car at JFK then 6 clear days before we have to return it. Want to get as far up the coast as Boston, exploring little coastal towns on the way. Finish up with a full day (at least) in Boston then on the final day head back to JFK for a late flight home.

Looking at Googlemaps parts of Highway 1 seem interesting.

As well as scenery I would very much like to see Historical places connected with early settlers as we have a connection with Plymouth England which was the final port of departure of The Mayflower.

Any advice on places to visit, roads to travel much appreciated

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,436 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days NYC and Boston Round Trip

There are some nice areas along the coast in Rhode Island. In Boston be sure and either take one of the ducky style tours or the walking tour of the city of Boston. Also go to Harvard. Really found the area around Plymouth Rock to be a bit disappointing.

We personally like the coast of Maine much better!! The area from Camden down to Ogunquit is beautiful!! Maybe you can visit there sometime. You would also like the Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park area if you have not been.

Enjoy your trip planning!!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days NYC and Boston Round Trip

You have to see Plymouth Rock, though I agree with PeachBelle that it isn't terribly impressive unlike Pilgrims Point in your Plymouth which we visited once. Martha's Vineyard island is very pretty; take the ferry from Wood's Hole. Edgartown is the place to stay--once the playground of the Kennedy's (John et al). Inland, be sure to include Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts in the itinerary, the flashpoint of the American revolution against the Brits.

New Haven, Conn would be a good place for the last night as it is a fairly short drive to JFK.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days NYC and Boston Round Trip

Harvard is lovely - we did it during our hop on hop off tour of Boston. JFK Library is great too. Inside its decked out like the White House.

If you are following the coast a town called Cohasset in MA is quaint.

You could do a lot in six days, as it won't take long to get to Boston from JFK.

Old Sturbridge Village MA is another town you could check out, as well as Newport Rhode Island, with its summer mansions from years gone by.

It's a beautiful area and you'll enjoy all that it offers.

Have you thought about picking up the car at JFK and dropping it off in Boston and fly back from that city? Could fit in some more sightseeing.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,271 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days NYC and Boston Round Trip

Hi Paul

A circular trip in 6 days reaching Boston is perfectly fine, but you will have to compromise a little if you want a full day or more in Boston itself. Some years ago now we spend 5 days there and still didn't manage to see all we wanted. The main Freedom Trail will be what you'd want to concentrate on as you're interested in history, but the area across the river around Harvard/Cambridge is also interesting and has a more villagey feel, with the student effect making it quite funky in contrast to the staid centre of Boston itself.

The coast route will pass lots of places with a lot of history in the context of the age of the USA's development, and certainly the around around Plymouth with the Plimoth Plantation a must see for you. We quite liked our night stop in Mystic, but it seems that recent reports suggest it has become much more commercial.

Driving back the 'inland' route on I-84, etc will be less interesting so allow for a faster route, but this is a very heavily used highway. I cannot tell you too much about it as we avoided it, but you might want to post on a local forum for local info on driving it and times when congestion is at it's worst. You might also wish to be already on your route back to JFK on your last night as you won't want to miss you flight back home and the roads around JFK really aren't the best, or easy to navigate.

Of course, as already said by others, by confining yourself to the part of New England between NYC and Boston you're missing so much of that beatiful area, espcially further north, but then you've an excuse to go back! (And I know you've also got the other part of your trip south from Atlanta!)

SWT

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
25 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days NYC and Boston Round Trip

I personally would drive approx three hours and stop in newport ri, see the mansions on the water, ( there are individual tours) and take the cliff walk along the coastline taking a drive toward Ft Adams I think its called. In order to see cliffs down to gorgeous open ocean , then I'd go a half hour or so to Little Compton, RI ( an amazingly unspoiled area- think farmland, stone walls going to the river or ocean) and maybe have a snack at The Commons. I would think about staying overnight in Little Compton at the Stone House or in Newport. ( Maybe best is Newport going to Little Compton the next day when you're back on the road)I would then drive to Boston spending two full days there before or after driving out to The Berkshires T to me, only in the summer), or driving to Maine or through Vermont. See forums on those areas to find charming cities, towns and views.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days NYC and Boston Round Trip

You could easily spend a few days on Cape Cod, especially if you take the ferry across to either Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket for a day. But 6 days isn't long, as you will need at least 1 full day for Boston (more if you add Harvard or Salem etc)

Plimoth Plantation & the Mayflower will take up half a day. I agree with visiting Concord/Lexington, especially after walking the Freedon Trail In Boston. You will need to allow at least half a day for this also & could maybe add on Harvard for the full day.

I also really like the Berkshires & Litchfield Hills, especially as a round trip return to NYC. However, you really need to read up on all these places to see which ones really interest you & how long you should allocate to each. There are some good websites with info if you google places or regions.

7. Re: 6 days NYC and Boston Round Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 10:19