We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter America Trip Ideas?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Winter America Trip Ideas?

Hi, I've got some credit with Jetblue and Southwest that will expire in Feb '12, therefore I can take 2 domestic flights in the US, so we can hop from East to West etc... So I was thinking of maybe taking a trip to America, after Christmas this year, for 2 weeks sometime between [Dec 27th to Jan 16th]. It would be Mum, Dad and DD20, up for renting a car if needed.

I was just wondering if you guys could give me some ideas of places to visit in these winter months? I don't want miserable weather throughout the trip, i.e. no NYC, but am up for the cold, if we were skiing etc..., otherwise I'll like warm, at least 50f of higher temps. We'd be on a budget around $150 a night for hotels.

We have on previous visits, visited California, and parts of the Southwest [such as Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon], NYC, Orlando, and will this summer be visiting Boston, Chicago, and back to previous locations we've been to.

I was thinking maybe the South such as Savannah, New Orleans, or maybe the Carolinas.

What do you think? Where are the nicest places to visit in these winter months?

Thanks

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter America Trip Ideas?

The Carolinas and Georgia can be pretty cold that time of year. So can Northern Florida be as well (although you can luck out sometimes). I don't like road trips in the US at that time of year because the days are so short. It's best to go someplace warm and beautiful and stay in a resort.

One thought would be to fly to some city you haven't been to and spend several days there and then take a cruise to some warm water destinations. You can do this out of Miami/Ft. lauderdale, New Orleans, Galveston, and Los Angeles/San Diego.

Edited: 15 July 2011, 01:40
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter America Trip Ideas?

The Tucson area of southern Arizona, which is very different from northern Arizona, is a perfect place for a winter vacation; there's plenty to do in the area to occupy at least a couple of weeks. Another good winter vacation location is Big Bend National Park in Texas.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,441 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter America Trip Ideas?

I'd second vcv's suggestions and recommend the southern states of AZ, NM and TX. They are usually pleasantly warm rather than hot at that time of year, and nice and dry and sunny! You could get flights to/from Las Vegas or Phoenix at one end and Dallas/Ft Worth or Houston at the other easily from the UK.

For places to visit around these areas, there have been several recent topics where folk have wanted a route between LA and Miami that you could look at, you'd just want the middle 'bite'.

I think JetBlue and Southwest serve all or most of those airports to provide in between hops.

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter America Trip Ideas?

Maybe a flight to San Antonio. SA and Austin are my preferred cities in Tx. Rent a car and see some of Tx. (Hill Country ) Then fly Phoenix or Tucson and rent a car again. Personally I'd rather drive between SA and Tucson but you have the flights for free ;)

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,441 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter America Trip Ideas?

Meant to add: If you want to add a ski dimension in the middle of the trip (but you'd need to lug the gear from the UK for just a few days) you could consider Taos, NM. It's a place Brit would never normally consider for skiing as there are no packages from the UK. Also, Taos is really interesting in its own right.

SWT

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter America Trip Ideas?

look ay key west, new orleans, puerto rico and US virgin islands

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter America Trip Ideas?

Personally, I would consider experiencing Yellowstone and Utah in winter. You also could visit one of the great ski resorts in Colorado. Complementing the winter weather with southern Arizona would provide a nice dichotomy and memory of a western winter in America. Who knows? It may be a fleeting opportunity with global warming.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k4332474…

Of course, it may be too late to book winter dates at Yellowstone. The weather risk is something you'll have to evaluate for yourself.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter America Trip Ideas?

If you drive between Tx and Az you can visit Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands. Between Carlsbad and White Sands is a ski area in Cloudcroft/Ruidoso NM. Cloudcroft is at 9000'

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter America Trip Ideas?

thanks for the ideas guys, I'll have a look at Texas and ski resorts.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter America Trip Ideas?

Going to Austin in late December/early January precludes seeing one of the city's top tourist attractions.

austin360.com/search/…bats.html