We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip Toronto To Florida

Coventry, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Road trip Toronto To Florida

I would like to hire a car in Toronto and drive to Florida which hire companies would allow me to do this please

Katherine

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
70,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip Toronto To Florida

Hi Katherine;

Are your plans for the rental car one-way or round trip ?

Best Regards

Coventry, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip Toronto To Florida

One Way

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip Toronto To Florida

It would be a lot easiler to rent a car in the USA and deliver it there. There always will be drop off charges.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,319 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip Toronto To Florida

Hi Katherine and welcome to this forum

You might want to rethink your plans, or even reverse your route. Here's why:

Firstly, not many cars rented in Canada may be driven in the USA and vice versa - but I get the impression from the way you worded your query that you already knew that.

Secondly, there's the issue of costs. The car rental companies who allow you to pick up the car in Canada and drive it into the USA, often have no 'free miles' once you cross the border, so you will be charged a mileage charge for the vast majority of the miles you will drive, plus the hefty drop off fee for the one way rental. Strangely, and for no reason I know of except perhaps supply and demand, Florida is often a good place to start a car rental. Alternatively, you could use 2 separate car rental deals, one in Canada and the other for the USA part of the trip.

FYI, most rental cars these days have hidden trackers, so they will know how many of your miles were done in USA with a Canadian car, and vice versa.

You haven't said how long your trip is, but for long rentals and one way deals, it's often best to speak to the rental companies first before booking, even if you do book online, just so both you and they know what you're actually wanting. Some options may not be available for online rentals, depending on the company, too, of course.

For a huge number of tips on getting the best USA car rental deals as a foreigner, plus driving tips, etc I'd recommend you read the tips flagged up on the top right of this forum, and do a topic search through the search box, or scan down a few pages of this forum as some possibly useful topics have been quite recently covered.

Have a good trip,

SWT

5. Re: Road trip Toronto To Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 07:17