We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

Upland, CA
Level Contributor
73 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

This summer my family will be traveling by car. I wanted to know from those of you with experience, what are the highlights kids would really enjoy along the way. Also, what are the stops that are just a plain, "must see" (whether the kids like it or not!) .

Also, do any of you know of an economical way to rent a car one way? Do any of you know of a rental company that may have better rates for this. Ideally, we would love to fly home, but so far it looks quite expensive to drive one way.

Thank you for all of your advice!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

Hi

How long do you have between LA and Charlotte? How many in your party are there? How old are the kids?

For the rental I'd check with the major companies (Hertz, Alamo, Avis, National etc etc). We found lowest drop of charges with National (we pay $ 250,-- plus tax) but we're renting from Europe so it might be different for you. Don't rent a too small car, you luggage won't fit in the boot. A minivan is a great family car.

Tet

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

Your route will take you across I 40 thru Az, NM and OK. In Az, the Grand Canyon is not too far north-- definitely a "must see" if you've not been. Sedona, about an hour south of I 40 is beautiful. Painted Desert and Petrified Forest directly on your route in Az.

Albuquerque is a great place and directly on your route. Old town is cool-- also a petroglyph national park there if the kids are interested in some minor hiking and seeing rock drawings.

OKC-- the western heritage museum is something all ages enjoy. The memorial there is also quite moving and beautiful.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

You'll want to investigate a drive/fly package deal which can provide savings on the drop fee, then compare to separate auto and airline deals. Autoeurope.com is a good place to start.

Look at a route which includes Grand Canyon NP South Rim, Hubbell Trading Post at Ganado, AZ, Santa Fe Old Square, Ft. Worth Stockyards, Nashville Grand Ole Opry, Gatlinburg and Great Smoky Mountains NP. If you have time, that would be a fine trip.

Upland, CA
Level Contributor
73 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

Thank you! I will check into National.

Upland, CA
Level Contributor
73 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

Thank you for the input. I will check out the auto/fly thing you mentioned and look into your other suggestions! I really appreciate it!

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

Little Rock is worth a stop. 3 top attractions:

1) the Clinton Presidential Library (more of a "museum" than a conventional library)

2)the International headquarters of the Heffer Center (right next to the Clinton Library--with a great section for children)

3) the Central High Museum (if you're interested in the history of the Civil Rights Movement; the daughter of one of the Little Rock 9 is a ranger at the museum)

Other attractions in Little Rock too, but these are 3 important ones--of the 3, the Heffer Center has more for children

As "Wings" noted, the memorial in Oklahoma City is worth a visit too; be sure to go outside the fenced area and notice recent tributes.

Upland, CA
Level Contributor
73 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

Thanks! I appreciate your info!

Upland, CA
Level Contributor
73 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

I may try to call autoeurope.com, but looking around the site, I couldn't figure out how to look for a drive/ fly package. Do you know if there is a special term for it or an area on the site to look? Thanks, again!

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

Hi mmm10,

Lots of great suggestions here and it looks like you've got plenty of ideas for the western half of your trip.

For the eastern half, I completely agree with Texhills suggestion of Nashville and the Great Smoky Mountains NP. One must-see that hasn't been mentioned is Asheville as well as the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'd try to fit in a bit of the parkway between SMNP and Asheville - it's the most scenic in my opinion - and then hit Asheville and see the Biltmore (one full day will give you a good overview and it's just spectacular!).

IMHO I'd choose spending time in Asheville over Little Rock if you're on a tight schedule. Asheville is set in a naturally gorgeous mountain setting, has wonderful dining and shopping, and has the one-of-a-kind Biltmore Estate. Little Rock has its charms, too, of course.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Tara

Upland, CA
Level Contributor
73 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Los Angeles to Charlotte and back

great suggestions! Thanks!