We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel agent did not apply for visa

1 post
Travel agent did not apply for visa

Hello

Can someone advise regarding the responsibilities of a travel agent with regards to visa arrangements?

My business trip was jeopardized in a very last minute (literally during the bags check-in) because the travel agent who has booked the trip did not make the arrangements for my visa to the destination country. The trip and all plans had to be cancelled.

What is the responsibility of the agent in this situation?

6 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,162 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Travel agent did not apply for visa

It is each traveler’s responsibility to arrange visa.

Visa is generally arranged by travel agent for tour groups, but not for individual traveler.

However a good agent should remind all the clients, especially those clients with no foreign travel experience. Traveler should also verify visa need independently, it is common for travel agents of airlines to give out wrong visa requirements info.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,758 posts
476 reviews
2. Re: Travel agent did not apply for visa

Did you instruct the travel agent that you needed a visa and ask that they sort it out for you? If not, then I don't think they have any liability or responsibility at all.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Travel agent did not apply for visa

It is the travel agent’s responsibility to book the ticket you requested.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,162 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Travel agent did not apply for visa

I booked 2 round trip tickets today, from San Francisco to Tokyo, Tokyo to Guangzhou, Guangzhou to Seoul, then back to San Francisco. There was no reminder and no mention for me to secure visas, it is not their job or responsibility to handle that, or to remind me, they can’t handle visa application anyway.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,241 posts
189 reviews
5. Re: Travel agent did not apply for visa

Anytime I book a business itinerary outside of this country - there is a long list of disclaimers at the bottom of the itinerary. One shares that it's the traveler's responsibility for all passport and visa needs. Other employers and corporate travel agents - same or similar.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,882 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Travel agent did not apply for visa

“What is the responsibility of the agent in this situation?”

===========

Nothing. Travel agents sell tickets. That’s it.

Now, my company’s contracted travel agent does remind me to check for visa requirements and (they have my passport details) specifically ask if I have a visa when I book flights to countries where a US passport holder needs one. But that’s part of the contract between the agent and my company. They’re paid by my company to do that. But they do *not* apply for any required visas, that’s my responsibility (using a separate company contracted visa agent).

Unless you have a contract with your travel agent requiring them to provide that service the responsibility is entirely on you.

Reply to: Travel agent did not apply for visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions