We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reimbursement for travel

Inverness...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Reimbursement for travel

My company will pay for airline tix but not mileage to airporter, airporter fees or baggage fees when I submit the lesser of two ways of travel, flying and driving. I think they should pay for to door. Can anyone help me? Thanks

11 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,994 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reimbursement for travel

That is strictly your company policy, between you and the company. Our company pays for all business related travel expenses, airtix, luggage, taxis, Uber, hotel, coffee, snacks, breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus payroll. These are standard.

US Economy is booming, the biggest challenge we as employers have now is we can’t find enough workers at all levels, local unemployment rate is now 2.1%, which means full employment. Our starting hourly rate is US$16-$17 for lowest level non-high school education workers. Many California employers will pay whatever wages to get the right workers, we grab whomever we can.

This is the best time to find a better job at a better company. Provided if you deserve it.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,677 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reimbursement for travel

It's indeed your company policy. You need to discuss with management.

If they don't pay for mileage (beyond your normal commute to the office), I suggest you plan on flying and then tell them you will take taxis or Uber to get between airport and wherever you need to go. Alternatively, take taxi/Uber to the airport. Upon landing, rent a car and claim the expenses. For baggage, just buy a plane ticket that includes baggage fees.

Again, you will still need to discuss this proposal with management. You don't want to spend all the money and then not get it back.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reimbursement for travel

Only three lots of people can help you: your company, your Union and you. Every company has its own travel and expenses policy. Your choices are: to accept them, to argue, to refuse to travel or to find a new job.

If you’re saying that flying plus associated fees, eg travel to and from the airport plus baggage, will be the cheapest option put that case calmly and clearly. If, however, it’s not the cheapest option they probably won’t be persuaded unless the saving in time outweighs the additional cost.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,253 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reimbursement for travel

Sorry, I'm late. I've been away. I agree that your company should pay for door to door travel. However some of the employers I worked for would not include my usual travel to work distance. I couldn't really argue against that.

In your case, I think they should pay for your baggage, and transportation if you live further away from the airport than your place of work. You should make representation to your employers with a polite and well argued case that you should not be out of pocket in any way when it comes to business travel.

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
314 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reimbursement for travel

Sounds ptetty unfair - I reimburse every dime an employee spends when they travel for business.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,994 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reimbursement for travel

Naturally there are many other factors to consider, such as if it is a small business with very limited resources, they just don’t have the money or full operation structure, a nonprofit with no money, if you are combining personal elements on the same trip (such as part of trip is visiting families or vacation), or limitation in your experiences or capacities or backgrounds, i.e., you are not worth the money, you haven’t produce anything, they are giving you a chance to prove yourself, plus 100 other variables and factors.

Business is not always the evil one, more often it is the employees taking advantage of the employers, as employers are bound by laws and regulations.

It is very common many unworthy employees thinking the company is taking advantage of them, forgetting many things and efforts the company have done for them or by not firing them; yet they’d report or sue the companies. That is why all employers must record all activities and interactions, do not assume anyone will remember friendship, love or kindness, only what’s in the record counts.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,253 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reimbursement for travel

My old adage was, if it wasn't recorded, then it didn't happen.

I always strive for balance. Yes, there are poor employees just as there are poor employers. But as a starting point, a principle if you like, then I feel that employees not being out of pocket on a business trip is a good one.

Obviously, if there is an element of a leisure trip for the person travelling as well as a business trip, then that does need to be factored in as well.

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
314 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reimbursement for travel

I live on the road and I have, at any given time, probably a dozen people who are traveling for me on business. If I ask them to fly off somewhere, I feel I’m responsible for any expenses they incurred along the way. For me, it’s as simple as that. Non profits or startups that don’t have the resources could be an exception but I think the OP isn’t in that category. Unfortunately, I know a lot of business owners that scrutinize every penny on an expense report and routinely deny reimbursement for things that common sense would say are clearly legitimate expenses. They are the ones that are convinced that every employee is looking to steal from them and they will spend more money on accounting types to analyze the €2 expense submitted than the actual expense. I hated that attitude when I was an employee and I certainly won’t do that to people as an employer. If I ask you to fly to Dubai then I pay for your (legitimate) expenses from the minute you leave your home until you return. Seems like the right thing to do. Maybe it’s a contributing factor to the fact I have almost no staff turnover.

Edited: 04 June 2018, 16:05
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,994 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reimbursement for travel

Going through expense reports is one task I dislike, I still have several from 2-3 years ago on corner of my desk, one of those forgotten piles, when I eventually get to it, it will no longer be relevant, I can throw the entire pile away.

I don’t think I ever denied any, but one case stood out. One day I noticed this sales manager receipts have 20% tips at airport or convention self help cafeterias coffee or sandwiches. There were tips for everything. Grab a coffee, tip the cashier 20%-25%. Dinner tips were 35%, $70 tip on $200 steak house dinner. I never looked at the receipts before, just glanced over the items and amounts are within reason. $270 dinner is okay, but not that $70 tip.

When asked, he said “the waitress was nice”. He has done this for years. I ok the expenses, but he will no longer be allowed to tip at self help places. All tips capped at 15%, he is free to give generously, out of his own pocket. He said he is just as generous with his own money, but once he can’t use company money to tip over 15%, he had a change of character.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
71,253 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reimbursement for travel

I have known a few employees who were a bit generous with the company's money. I think that it's important to have clear policies and rules as to what can be claimed and what can't.

An example from my line of work was taxi usage. I used to walk or take a bus whenever possible or appropriate, simply because I'm not that keen on cabs, but I knew some who would jump ina taxi for very short journeys, such as going 2 blocks between their hotel and an office.

There was nothing wrong with that, as the company allowed it, but when I moved to a diofferent firm, their rule was that you could only use a cab for journeys of a certain length unless you chose to pay for it yourself.

I'm sure that there were ways around it, but it didn't bother me at all.

Reply to: Reimbursement for travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions