We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

london
Level Contributor
729 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

Is it still possible to take your credit/debit card into a bank for a cash advance in these circumstances?

I haven't done it in 30 years but it used to be normal

16 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

Very unlikely. But where are you going that you expect to find bank branches but no ATMs?

london
Level Contributor
729 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

I'm going to the "stans"

General advice is - you may find ATMs in the capital city but elsewhere there are none. And if you do find them they is a high probability they will not be working and, if they are, might reject foreign cards.

It's a mess

tim

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,691 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

Normally a seasoned business traveler should’ve prepared for these conditions, I carry US$3000 cash with me, but rarely need to use it, so it cost me nothing. Never get caught with no money.

The old fashion way for international businessmen is go to the local American Express office, cash a check, they are everywhere and they do that. That is why I also always have checks with me when I travel, last time I used AXP to cash a check was Venice Italy, when I got caught with no cash.

AXP offices are also reliable mail drops. For on the road global salespeople, not always sure which will be your future hotels, use AXP offices, pick up mail, passport, money, documents.

Last resort, ask your home office to wire you few thousands. We have people out there, rarely but when needed, we wire cash out as requested. No question asked for people you trust or if they got into trouble or need to buy their way out. You gotta back up your people.

SOP, standard operating procedures.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,691 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

When all else failed and you really need to, use your Rolex, it has saved many people in the last 100 years. There is a solid safety reason to wear a Rolex.

london
Level Contributor
729 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

Firstly I am not a business traveller, I just asked here as the most appropriate place to find an answer (about a very generic question).

And I fully understand that I can carry a wodge of cash, specifically dollars.

But

1 that puts me at risk of losing it

2 (the clue's in the name), I am not American I do not have a ready supply of dollars, I have to pay a premium to get them,. And all of the people with the advice about the non-availability of ATMs say that the exchange offices are fussy about which notes they will accept - saying things like "must use 50 dollar notes of a specific issue(s). Only the ones with the blue border and the yellow background will be accepted, the ones with the green border and pink polka dots will be rejected by exchange offices" (OK I made that bit up). And I have no control over what notes that I get from the exchange office, I get what I am given and if it's the wrong ones, I am stuck!

and what's a check (no I'm not discussing the spelling of the word) Who has those anymore and in any case where else in ROW can I get a UK one cashed? Do you mean Travellers Checks? Well the same advice that says there are no ATMs also says that there are few to none places to cash those.

these are really backward countries

london
Level Contributor
729 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

Oh

The tour has all accommodation, travel, entrance fees and all breakfasts pre paid

if all else fails, I just bum around with no (local) money for a few days.

tim

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

>>go to the local American Express office, cash a check, they are everywhere<<

Oh no, they are not. For example, there is no longer even one American Express office in the whole of Italy.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,691 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

So you are a tourist with no money on the business travel forum, misunderstood you. Go to a bank and try your cards, post your experiences on those forums to help future visitors.

london
Level Contributor
729 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

I've got plenty of money

I just don't have an "office" infrastructure to help me

and even when I am travelling for business that still applies, as I'm a one man band. When my fee earning employee is overseas on business, so is my back office admin staff (me).

And I fully intend to go to the appropriate places and correct any misinformation (or confirm what is right, where appropriate) when I return. But that doesn't help me now, does it?

tim

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)

The discussion seemed to get a little side-tracked on specific points-of-view. One option I've used for small local currency withdrawals is a cash advance with the hotel. Some of the larger chain brands still do this. Also consider payment apps (smart phone apps) are more broadly used in some countries. Their overall adoption is still low, but growing.

Reply to: Getting cash abroad (when ATMs unavailable)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted