We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

Hello

I love holidaying in America and ideally I'm looking to find some gay and lesbian friendly places to go to with the place also being near a nice, sandy beach.

This is for a holiday to be taken in the summer so would like some nice hot weather.

I had heard that San Diego was very lesbian-friendly, would you recommend me going there?

Where else is there to go to?

Thank you for any help and advice :- )

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

Rehoboth Beach Delaware on the U.S.A.'s east coast is very gay/lesbian friendly. We are a beach town within 2 hours drive of Philadelphia or Baltimore airports. Delaware ofers sales tax free shopping.We have excellent dining and nightlife. For info on hotels and dining checkout www.rehoboth.com or www.beach-fun.com.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
642 posts
135 reviews
2. Re: Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

fort Lauderdale is a good destination and very gay friendly. Beachs are clean and fun.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

For me Fort Lauderdale is the best place since it has young professionals, early retirees and a whole spectrum of different gays and lesbians. The only problem is that this is truer for gay men then lesbians. There is at least 50 gay bars all around town and only one or two lesbian ones although the two or three mega discotheques (Sea Monster, etc) attract a good share of young lesbians (but straights too). Dozens of great guesthouses and gay motels but, again, to my knowledge, none for lesbians. There is still a "gay beach" section on the marvelous beach, strangely in front of what used to be the largest gay hotel 25 years ago but long gone. Again 95% male at the beach. Check the local gay press Hotspot Magazine and 411 Magazine (easy to find on the Net) for more infos.

Strangely Key West that was traditionally gay is now overrun by lesbians. Even traditional gay male guesthouses have been taken over by lesbians. I think that the attrition due to AIDS has been worse in Key West than anywhere else so that might explain this changing of the guard. Summer is very low season in KW so you might get very good prices even in top guest houses. Because it is surronded by the ocean, it has a more breezy feel that FtLaud. You might also find some infos in the aforementioned magazines.

Provincetown is THE place in the Northeast during Summer and, curiously the main streed is diveded by gender, part of it lesbians and part of it male gays

As for guesthouses I don't know if they follow this geographical divide. Two word of cautions, the sea is pretty cold even the midst of Summer with sometime lousy weather (perfect for people from England)and there is also a lot of red necks around, not so much agressive but just plain annoying.

Something that might come as a surprise for you is Saugatuk (Michigan), on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, really a gay and lesbian resort town, little know outside of the Midwest. You can fly to either Detroit or Chicago and drive or take bus (train?). This means that you can also make day trips around. In fact I would suggest that you fly to Chicago, stay around for a few days to get a hold on the really great cultural life plus spend some time on the beaches on Lake Michigan where some parts are gay or lesbians, then drive to Saugatuk and spend some time there and plan day trip to Ann Arbor (very nice university city), Dearborn, site of the incredible Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. Even, why not, the safer parts of Detroit with a possible crossing to Windsor (Ontario, Canada) by the tunnel linking both downtowns, you will find youself in a different universe; a small quiet and party place at once and very low crime city with one gay bar that is an institution: The Happy Tap, main floor is regular Ontario tavern mainly lesbian (truck drivers and mullets abound) and in the basement a gay male stripper club.

May be I got carried away but Saugatuk is a nice less know community and the waters of Lake Michigan are a bit warmer then the Atlantic at Provincetown plus all this cultural possibilities around.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
4. Re: Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

Thank you very much for your suggestions and thank you rickb for your very detailed and informative response.

If anybody else has got any other suggestions I’d love to hear those too.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

Just forgot to tell you that Key West has no real beaches, there is an artificial one but not with the greatest sand in the worls. The only real beach in the Keys is ahout halfway in a State Park but it can be full of seagrass sometimes

Dallas
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

Rehoboth Beach DE has girls for days. It is a gay friendly town with great restaurants and completely open to gay men and lesbians. 2 and a half hours from DC which is a great destination. There are miles of beautiful white sand beaches in DE. The water is not warm or blue but the girls are really cute. Also, 2 hours from Philadelphia and Baltimore if you can get better flights. Will need to rent a car to get there, however -- no public transportation.

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

I would have to recommend Rehoboth Beach Delaware as well. Very nice small beach community with a large gay/lesbian tourist trade. The beach area only being a short distance from Baltimore and Washington DC affords for alot of locals to head there for long weekends. Where ever you choose have a great time.

Palm Springs
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

Hi,

I live in the Palm Springs California where the population is over 58%,(we have a gay mayor and lesbians in the city government),but there is no beach, just lots of sand, mountains and fantastic weather and it can be very hot in the summer. San Diego, a 2 hour drive away, has a large gay area and a lot of things to do. There ia also a gay nude beach there. Having lived all over the US and having visited all the major gay/gay-friendly areas, I must say that one comes to mind as ideal for a lesbian woman and it has incredible sandy beaches....Provincetown, Massachusetts. I grew up just off the cape and came out there. Originally it was predominantly gay men, but now it is predominantly lesbian. Check out Provincetowns website for gay activities, weekend events, guest houses and nightclubs. There are huge sand dunes around PTown and a short drive off this peninsula will take you to some charming old New England roads with quaint homes, lovely gardens, remote beaches and antique shops. You can get there by ferry from Boston (3 hours) or you can drive. Flying into Hyannis will get you closer. In Ptown you can watch the sunset sitting in the dunes at lovely Race Point Beach, take a romantic sunset cruise, go whale watching just off the coast where the whales are in large numbers, dance and see gay-themed entertainment. Strolling hand in hand and public displays of affection are standard and you will feel comfortable here. It is picturesque and you are all around a lot of history. I do not think you will be disappointed. Let me know if you are going and I will be glad to provide any other details that may help.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
9. Re: Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

Hello again

I know I’ve PM’d a couple of you and mentioned that unfortunately I won’t be holidaying in America this year but I just wanted to ask something about Province Town.

I was at a friend’s buffet yesterday and two of my other friends who were there said they had been to Province Town. (What a small world we live in, but hey they are gay women too.) They recommended me to go there too, and at some point, hopefully not in the too distant future I will go. They got the ferry over there and said absolutely everybody on the ferry was gay.

My friends said, which I’m not sure how true this is, if you run a business in Province Town you have to be gay.

From the description of beautiful sandy beaches and not just gay-friendly but more gay-run this place does sound fantastic and I will definitely visit at some point.

Thank you to everybody who has answered my question on this thread.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Best lesbian and gay places in the USA -must be near a beach

Unfortunately, in the US, the tendency is for the lesbians to migrate north, and the gay boys to migrate south. That's not to say you won't find a scene in almost any reasonably sized city, but the ratio of lesbian to gay venues seems to be inversely proportional to latitude! (San Diego might be an exception... haven't been there since I was a kid). P-town is great, regardless of your gender and persuasion, and NYC has a robust lesbian community -- and near enough for a day or weekend trip you'll find the beaches of Long Island (Cherry Grove on Fire Island is gay/lesbian with a bit of a tilt towards the girls and the bohoemian scene), New Jersey, and you could get to Rehoboth (another great destination for the girls) in 3 hours.

Get answers to your questions