We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in India

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,881 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in India

I have two gay friends (male) who'd like to travel in India but are afraid this might be dangerous. Although I've given them a bit of information and advice, they would love to hear from others who have done that and how they found the experience.

21 replies to this topic
Lincoln, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in India

I am a gay male and looking at travelling to India. From what I have researched I don't see a problem. There is loads of helpful tips and advice out there if you research it. I'm looking at doing India by train and doing it on my own. As long as they're street wise they shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck with their travels

2. Re: Travel in India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 March 2017, 02:35

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in India

Simple tip is that if you avoid public display of attraction, you could avoid any problem.

As a cultural thing, two men going out together is a normal one here (considered as friends).

Your relationship is personal and you might not need to tell anyone about your orientation.

i am not aware of any other problems.

post in if anything specific you would need to know.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in India

Me and my partner (2 men) are travelling the golden triangle, Mumbai and Goa in 3 weeks.

Will hotels be ok with us sharing a bedroom with one double bed? I am worried about people refusing us to stay in their hotel.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,881 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in India

Personally Isaac, I think it would be better for you to opt for twin beds during your trip. Best to not putt yourselves into any embarrassing situations when it's so easily avoided.

Chennai (Madras...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel in India

I am an Indian. Indian guys often stay together in single rooms.

Public display of affection will definitely draw people's attention, be it Gay or Straight.

Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel in India

Hi travelkat88, as others have said your friends will have no toruble at all if they do not hold hands or kiss in public. I travelled in 1995 all over India, with a straight male friend and at one stage had to share a bed with him. It was the guest house that gave us a room with only one narrow bed. On one occassion my gaydar did pick up a fellow traveller, we cooee'd across the rooftops, and that was all. No problems. Just keep the "street smarts" active and all will be fine. They will see young Indian men holding hands, but that is simply friendship, not to be immitated by western gay men, and as you know that is common all over Asia.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel in India

As with most of the global south, public displays of affection regardless of sexuality are not seen as acceptable. This include kissing, caressing and intimate hugs. If people see two men together, they will assume you are friends or relatives unless told otherwise. No one will care if you share a room though many places require a per person payment so you may have to pay for two people

9. Re: Travel in India

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 June 2017, 21:05

10. Re: Travel in India

Removed on: 20 June 2017, 21:05

Reply to: Travel in India
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions