We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

Brooklyn
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

Hi!

I've never solo traveled before, but I need a few days away for some serious R&R and to quietly celebrate some big changes in my life. I was thinking of going to the Caribbean this winter -- someplace that is an easy flight from JFK/LGA

I need some ideas of places that fit these criteria:

• Small

• No kids

• Quiet

• On the beach

• Relaxing

• Easy to get to

• Don't have to leave the resort

• Not crazy expensive, but willing to splurge a little

• Would prefer English speaking as to minimize the variables

I've been to St. Thomas/St. John, Aruba, Mexico, and the Bahamas before. Basically I need an antidote to New York City for a few days.

Thanks!

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

I just got back from a week at the Palms at Pelican Cove on St. Croix, USVI. I think it might fit your request.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,362 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

Hi girlacross, have you posted on the Carabean forum as well? You would have a wider experience base of resorts etc .

Brooklyn
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll post in the Caribbean forum in addition!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,516 posts
5,695 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

I would also throw in the suggestion of considering some of the SE Asian destinations that might meet your travel criteria. Have a look at places like Thailand, Bali and the Philippines to start. Lots of nice, quite and fun beach destinations with lots of opportunity for culture, sea activity and good food.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

First, I'm doubtful you're going to get any response to your other post since most people don't post to the Caribbean forum. My recommendation is the Beach Vacations forums here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12289-Beach_Va…

As for places, thanks for sharing your list of wishes and where you've been. Have you decided whether you'd like to do a repeat trip or try somewhere new? If you're not interested in crowds and want to do your own thing, some places come to mind: Riviera Maya south of Cancun, Isla Mujeres (small island a ferry boat away from Cancun), St. Kitts or Nevis, and I'd go back to Aruba, too. With any of these, there will be a balance with your budget and your needs, so you might want to get on a website like kayak or orbitz, to begin to narrow your options/choices.

O'Fallon, Illinois
Level Contributor
101 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

The Sands at Grace Bay. Done.

Brooklyn
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

Thanks for all the recommendations! While googling Grace Bay, I stumbled upon the Grace Bay Club. OH. MY. GOD. It's now officially on my list.

To the person who mentioned Asia, while I would love to go sometime, it's just too far right now.

Actually what I'm going to be doing is going with a friend to Tortola and St. John in early February. Quickish direct flight from NYC to St. Thomas.

But I'm open to solo travel in the future. And I've taken notes. Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

Hi,

To add to your list, I just came back from St Maarten on a solo trip and had a great time. It's a small island I found easy to get around, no issues with language, plenty of beaches to choose from where you could either relax or be around a lot of people, restaurants to fit every budget and I felt very safe while I was there so leaving a resort wouldn't even be an issue. It's definitely on my list to visit again.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,074 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

Do you want to do some socializing? Consider Club Med Turquoise (Turks and Caicos). It can be reasonably priced if it's not high season, the beach and grounds are gorgeous. The nice thing about Club Med as a single is that there are large round dinner tables and hostesses seat you. That avoids the awkward eating alone thing and offers the chance to get to know people.

It's adults only and a mixture of couples and singles. It's fairly laid back - not really a party animal kind of place

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Travel Ideas for 33yo Woman Going to Caribbean?

I suggest Barbados. Go check out the forum, the travel guides and the hotel websites. Barbados has what you seek. Trust me on this.

Naamah77: I recently travel to St. Maarten as a solo and hated it. I would not recommend that island for solo females. But to each his own thing.

So I guess you should check out St. Maarten also.

Get answers to your questions