We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

In May I will be going to Spain...

As I will be planning my own trip I would love some great recommendations on places I must see.

I am looking at going 12-14 days. AIrfare is taken care of thanks to FF Miles. For my travel I wish budget was unlimited but I have about $150-175 per day to spend on food, entertainment, sightseeing and loding.

A little about me

I am a very active college educated 37 year old

I live in the North East

I love live music, art, and really love architecture

I am a bit of a foodie but also love the greasy spoon hole in the wall joints

I haven't set my dates yet but will be traveling the first part of May 2012

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated

Jeff

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

Hello Jeff

Spain is a wonderful country to travel to and around,as there are very good high speed train links to all the major cities, plus very good road system.

I'd suggest buying a good travel guide, Lonely Planet, Fordors or Dorling Kindersley. With this information about travel within Spain, distances between places and places of particular historic/scenic and architectural interest, you can then put an itinerary together.

Personally... loved the Alhambra and found the city of Grenada a delight, lots of wonderful small hotels, and you can travel to the surrounding mountains fairly easily, as well as trains to Cordoba and Seville.

Barcelona has the advantage of being both a vibrant and lively city, with must see's like Las Ramblas,and Gaudi's superlative Sagranda Familia.. but is also on a wonderful coast, with a very good beach.

Madrid, again a wonderful city, with good transport links, and plenty of accommodation for all pockets.

If you get the opportunity to stay in a parador, then do.. you'll be so glad you did.

Spain is a huge country, with much to see and do. The west coast is less visited, gets more rain, and is much greener than the interior.

If you have a rough idea of where you'd most like to go, then I'd also suggest looking at the information on the TA destination for those parts of Spain you are most interested in. Also good for checking accommodation, and posting any specific questions you may have. Oh, one last thing... a cool cervesa on a hot day is a must!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,180 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

You;ll be ok for art Jeff. The Prado is a must see, the El Greco's are remarkable in detail that doesnt show on photos and of course modern art too. Apparantly there are a couple more galleries close by.

spanish-fiestas.com/art/art-galleries-madrid…

madrid-tourist-guide.com/en/attractions/art-…

and Toledo euroresidentes.com/euroresiuk/guides-spain/g…

Gaudi in Barcelona euroresidentes.com/euroresiuk/guides-spain/g… Spain has some great architecture, from the moorish influence in the south and changing as you move north, a posting on the Spain forum would give you some variety and the best bits.

When I visited 'in the old days' people played flok & flamenco guitar on the trains, in cafes etc but you should see some genuine guitar playing, it is very exciting. They have lots of festivals of modern music too, Again the Spain forum could give you more detail,

For food of course experience tapas in the bars, the Spanish omlette as a takeaway lunch, squid in ink sauce (best eaten in the dark as it tastes better than it looks!) Eat outside of the main tourist areas, see if you can find where the locals go, this should cost less and be more authentic,

Can't see a problem with your budget, most of the architecture is free, possibily you could hear music for free, art galleries don't cost much, this gives some good advice on passes …about.com/od/beforeyougo/qt/budget.htm

…about.com/od/…top_budget_travel_tips.htm

Ask about discount cards for the galleries & travel.

I hope you will let us know what you find and post when you return, would love to do this again.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,781 posts
5,807 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

You'll do fine in Spain. Not only is it a nice place to visit but it is very travel friendly, even with the language barrier (English to Spanish).

I do recommend you spend some time on the Spain TA Forums to maximize your research and trip planning. You can take advantage of information from our Spain Destination Experts as well.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187427-i42-Spain.…

Have a great time planning your trip to Spain and hope you enjoy it there.

O'Fallon, Illinois
Level Contributor
101 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

37 and have never traveled alone? Glad I started early..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

Good for you Jeff, I took my first solo trip at the grand old age of 43 as a solo female and loved it!

Not everyone has the confidence or time to do a solo trip earlier, some have other things in their lives that need to be worked out.

Have a great time, I am sure you will. x

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

I certainly can identify with your comment. Not everyone can do a solo trip early in life for various reasons. I am 46 and this will be my first solo trip to London first and then Madrid next month. I m very excited and I can't wait. I have taken solo trip before but I al ways meeting someone when I get to my destination. But this time I will be entirely on my own. And I m looking forward to the challenges that might rise up.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

I certainly can identify with your comment. Not everyone can do a solo trip early in life for various reasons. I am 46 and this will be my first solo trip to London first and then Madrid next month. I m very excited and I can't wait. I have taken solo trip before but I al ways meeting someone when I get to my destination. But this time I will be entirely on my own. And I m looking forward to the challenges that might rise up.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
946 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

I strongly agree with mcpinder, Andalucia is beautiful with incredible architecture. I was amazed by Granada and the Alhambra, where you could easily spend one full day. I would suggest to spend 3 days in Seville and at least 2 full days in Granada, and 2 days in Cordoba. Then you might go to the beach (Marbella is nice) and finish with one big city, Barcelona or Madrid.

You need to make reservations for the Alhambra.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

Jrm... The London destination forum arranges a pub meet up every month, for travellers and regulars. Great place to swap stories and have a chat with the DE's and anyone else who drops by.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Solo Trip ever and it will be to Spain

Good to know that. I'll take a look at this forum. Tx for the info.