We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my budget dream possible?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is my budget dream possible?

Can anyone recommend a destination for my holiday please?

I'm looking to go away for about 5 days in November by myself. I'd like to go somewhere warm ideally. My budget is pretty limited - only about £250. I don't mind simple/basic but I'm old enough that I'd rather not share a room with strangers anymore.

I'd like to relax and am not interested in clubs etc. My idea of a perfect holiday would be a mix of history/culture and a bit of chilling in the pool or sea too. Mostly I just want to have a glass of wine in the sunshine and a nice meal.

Obviously being a single female I also want to feel safe wherever I go.

Is my budget dream impossible or can you suggest somewhere and tell me where I can find this elusive holiday?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,166 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is my budget dream possible?

Is L250 your total budget (ie. transportation, lodging, and food) or is your budget larger?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,621 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is my budget dream possible?

Daybarkle

This might be difficult to manage even within the UK on only £250. Five days, hotels or B&Bs at £30-40quid, your are down to £50-100 for transport and food. Not sure there will be many nice meals and wine opportunities if you're trying to make it on £10-20 a day.

You might want to spend some time browsing www.lastminute.co.uk and other similar websites. They often have some basement price 1 week travel to beach resorts that have lots of capacity in the winter so you can pick up some real bargains. £250 might not be enough but you will probably be surprised at how little you can pay for a decent 1 week trip if you do your research.

Good luck, Daybarkle

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,853 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is my budget dream possible?

Daybarkle, the tax on air travel from the UK is increasing in November for both long and short haul flights, so sadly your budget may not be achievable . You may be better off looking at hotels in the UK that have pools/spa facilities attached. Have you considered Bath? Fantastic spa city with many small local hotels and B & B's. Suggest looking at the TA travel forums for spa cities for more information and advice.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is my budget dream possible?

Hi thanks for those replies. Yes that really is my total budget for everything sadly.

The biggest problem I find with lastminute's offers is that they're based on 2 people sharing so never seem to come within my budget as I'm either charged for two people or they whack on a huge single person supplement.

Bath is indeed a beautiful place but as I used to live near there and have been back quite recently I'll probably give it a miss but I like the idea of a spa based hotel stay - I might look into that some more. Thank you.

By "nice meal I don't mean expensive meal - I've eaten many amazing meals for less around £10 abroad.

Thanks for the ideas and if anyone else has any more I'd happily welcome any suggestions.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,621 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is my budget dream possible?

York, the Lake District, Edinburgh or even a weekend in London are not bad options considering your budget restrictions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is my budget dream possible?

Have you thought about something like http://www.couchsurfing.org or airbnb.com?

Edited: 19 October 2011, 22:37
Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is my budget dream possible?

I'm afraid unless you're thinking of sleeping on a park bench, you're going to have trouble. As you say, it's the single supplements that bump up the charge. I've just booked somewhere that was advertised @ around £1600 pp but because I'm travelling alone it is costing me over £2000. This is just the way it is unless you can find a mate to go with.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is my budget dream possible?

Just met a guy who has travelled all through North America for months using couchsurfing.org to organize free spots to stay at. First I'd heard of it but he swears by it.

I know if it was me, I would go to Hadrian's Wall or the Lakes (or somewhere similar and near you) and go on a walking holiday. This would fit your budget, you'd get some exercise and you could combine your interest in history with the trip. Might not be able to enjoy that glass of wine in the sun though!

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is my budget dream possible?

you could try hitchiking if your languages are good enough. Not really safe for a chick though - haven't done it for years, even then only in UK.

Camping? you can pick up a cheap tent second hand. But to get somewhere warm at this time of year you are looking at going further afield. Not on £250 I'm afraid.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
165 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is my budget dream possible?

I booked a bed in a hostel in the Lake District for £55 for 5 nights because it is low season.

As a superstitious lone female traveller, I find the presence of others in the same room as me rather comforting!