We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC with autistic child

4 posts
NYC with autistic child
Save

Hi all,

My husband & I have had our trip to NYC cancelled three times due to the pandemic.

We are now considering booking NYC along with our two children. (Previously, the children were going to stay at home with grandparents but this is no longer possible.

Our concern is, our 5 year old son has autism. He is diagnosed non-verbal but is making good progress & beginning to use single words 😀 he does not become to overwhelmed with sensory issues such as noise or lights either. Our son has travelled to Asia several times before & has coped well but we’ve not done a city break before.

I believe that our son’s diagnosis should not hinder his experiences, nor our experiences as a family but I am slightly apprehensive.

We understand taking the children will change the dynamics of our trip but I think it will be amazing for al of us.

I was just wondering if anyone had been in the same situation, taking their autistic child to NYC, or if anyone had any advice?!

Thank you!

1 reply
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
331 reviews
278 helpful votes
1. Re: NYC with autistic child
Save

Hi Lisamarie, and welcome

I see you have also raised this on the New York forum, and have had a response.

Unfortunately disabilites covers a huge range of issues, and this is outside my experience.

It will be both challenging and rewarding, so I hope you manage to get there.

Reply to: NYC with autistic child
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.