We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Tropical Escape with Sensory Issues?

2 posts
Planning a Tropical Escape with Sensory Issues?
Save

Hi there, I have a very specific question here and looking for some advice...

So, my mom and I (both adults) have auditory processing disorder. That means loud crowds are absolutely out for relaxation. We will end up crying, and that's no good for anyone.

That being said, she really has her heart set on a beach or tropical vacation this year. Where can we go that is sunny and nice, without the crowds and loudness? Somewhere quaint and slow-paced, predominantly English-speaking, and won't break the bank? (Big ask, I know!)

(Key West used to be her favorite, but she says it's too built-up now. Are the other keys any good? Or skip them and spring for the tropics?)

5 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
331 reviews
278 helpful votes
1. Re: Planning a Tropical Escape with Sensory Issues?
Save

Hi, and welcome to TripAdvisor. Now that's a challenge.

So many tropical beaches have jet skis, or noisy bars. While it doesn't affect me so badly, I do dislike noise.

Unfortunately my expertise is a long way from the USA.

We visited Thailand quite a lot over 10 years ago, and some of the beaches there are very peaceful. But nobody outside the hotels speaks English. You could ask on the Thailand forum for suggestions.

Another possiblity is the Tanjung Rhu resort on Langkawi. When we visited (some years ago) they didn't allow jet skis, and didn't play music. Most people you'll meet speak good English.

In Europe Madeira has some peaceful beaches, but we've only been there in the winter.. Those involved with tourists speak English, as do many others.

Hopefully others here will have better advice which doesn't involve such long trips. If any of my suggestions interest you, come back and I'll give you links (if you can't find them for yourself). Good luck. Your quest is possible, but it's going to be challenging.

Edited: 30 December 2021, 10:17
2 posts
2. Re: Planning a Tropical Escape with Sensory Issues?
Save

Thanks for your reply! I never considered those locales for the beach scene, and I'll especially keep Madeira in mind. :)

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
331 reviews
278 helpful votes
3. Re: Planning a Tropical Escape with Sensory Issues?
Save

Most Madeira beaches are man-made and rather small. They have breakwaters which provide shelter from the Altantic. But they are quite peaceful, although most of our trips there have been in November.

The island is also very beautiful - one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. There are plenty of opportunities for quiet walks in the hills.

It's a few years since I've been, so you might get more up to date info on the Madeira forum https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189166-i434-Madeira_Madeira_Islands.html

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Senior Travel
Level Contributor
37,221 posts
110 reviews
44 helpful votes
4. Re: Planning a Tropical Escape with Sensory Issues?
Save

When are you planning to travel?

I spent a few days on Sanibel Island a few January's ago and I thought it was pretty low-key. There was traffic on the main roads but the beaches were relatively deserted. My focus was birding so I was also in areas off the beaten path.

It's not as tropical as Key West in winter and can have some chilly days - depends on when you are going.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
25,515 posts
90 reviews
142 helpful votes
5. Re: Planning a Tropical Escape with Sensory Issues?
Save

Naples, Florida, might suit your requirements, some fabulous beaches, a fairly low key kind of place not really renowned for crowds or mass events/gatherings, a warm climate generally, and plenty of hotels in all price brackets.

I hope this helps..

Reply to: Planning a Tropical Escape with Sensory Issues?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.