We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go with mobility scooter rental

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
where to go with mobility scooter rental
Save

My mother loves to travel, but she's recently declined in health and can no longer rely upon a walker to get around for long distances. She uses a mobility scooter when shopping so it seems like a good option for vacationing.

We're looking at Disney simply because it's easy, but are there locations outside of the continental US that you'd suggest where it's both easy to rent a mobility scooter and where she could get around a hotel on her own, and see sights without renting a vehicle? I've done a few searches here but haven't found any consistent recommendations. We were looking at Hawaii also, but it seems it's more accessible to wheelchairs than scooters.

5 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
36,950 posts
62 reviews
198 helpful votes
1. Re: where to go with mobility scooter rental
Save

You can take your Mother's own Mobility Scooter on a plane trip, with some planning.

I belive you have to take the Battery out, and transport that seperately, but that is not really a big issue.

If you book "airport help" via your airline, when you book the plane tickets, then you should be good.

Anywhere in the world that is "Flat" should do, but if yur Mother needs a chair, would it not be a good idea if she had a carer with her??

Yes, I do know that not everyone in a wheelchair needs that, but there are many concessions for those that do, so have you considered travelling with her???

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: where to go with mobility scooter rental
Save

Thanks for the reply. We positively would be going with her, but are struggling with where we could go that both has scooter rental easy to find and also is easily accessible. I've traveled around the globe and offhand can only think of a few places that might apply. I'm hoping that Disney and Hawaii aren't the only two options for us outside of the continental US! I'd like for her to be able to get around on her own because we'd like a day or two (or three) to see more than is limited by her scooter. For instance if we did Hawaii, I'd like to take my kids snorkeling for a day, and want her to be able to explore a little on her own without sitting alone in a hotel room waiting for us to come back.

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
331 reviews
278 helpful votes
3. Re: where to go with mobility scooter rental
Save

It's outside my experience, because I walk with a rollator.

You may have to select places you'd like to visit, then ask on the destination forum for advice, because this forum covers the whole world, there are lots of places none of us here know.

I find Singapore is good. No knowledge about hiring mobility scooters, but everything has been planned with the disabled in mind. There are elevators in almost all locations where there are steps, and plenty of ramps to make road crossing easy. But not good for snorkelling, the water is murky.

London, England
Level Contributor
12,839 posts
69 reviews
63 helpful votes
4. Re: where to go with mobility scooter rental
Save

I’ve travelled throughout Europe with my mobility scooter. Airlines accept them, but there ar3 size restrictions if it’s one of the very big ones.

You need to book airport assistance with the airline. I do this at the same time as I book my flight. I scoot to the aircraft door and it’s waiting for me at my destination. All very easy. My scooter has a dry cell battery, so remains on my scooter. Lithium batteries need to be taken into the aircraft cabin.

Some places are very good for accessibility likeUK, Ireland, Spain France and other countries depend where you go.

If you are on Facebook, there ar3 some very good Facebook pages for those travelling with disabilities.

1 post
5. Re: where to go with mobility scooter rental
Save

There are definitely motorized mobility aids that can be taken on an airplane. You just have to make sure that the batteries adhere to TSA or relevant aviation authorities' requirements. You can look here: https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/wheelchairs-and-other-assistive-devices#:~:text=of%20the%20aircraft%3F-,No.,cargo%20portion%20of%20the%20aircraft.

There are also companies like https://us.travelbuggy.com/ that specialize in wheelchairs that are airline-approved. Worth taking a look at!

Reply to: where to go with mobility scooter rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.