We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with service dog UK to USA

Edinburgh, United...
2 posts
traveling with service dog UK to USA
Save

Hi,

I'm a US citizen spending some time in the UK. While I've been in the UK, I've gotten a dog and trained it to be my service dog under US regulations since I intend on moving back and living there. I understand that the UK has different laws and regulations for service dogs, so my question is when I'm flying back to the US with my service dog, will I be asked for certification and other paperwork required for UK service dogs? Or is it just the requirements of US service dogs? The airline is United, and on their website they only require DOT paperwork. I'm just worried that when I get to the airport, they will require certain certifications for UK service dogs, which I do not have.

10 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
331 reviews
278 helpful votes
1. Re: traveling with service dog UK to USA
Save

Hi Erin and welcome to TripAdvisor

This is a tricky question, and you'll want to make sure you have the right answer before you go to the airport.

I suspect you only need the US documents, as that's where you're flying to. But that 's just my thinking, which is no more likely to be correct than yours!

I see you've also raised this query on the Pets forum, which was a good idea.

I suggest you email the airline, as that will be more definite than the answers you get on a public forum. Email don't phone, so you can prove what was said to you if necessary at the airport.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get things sorted in time for your flight.

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
100,159 posts
99 reviews
631 helpful votes
2. Re: traveling with service dog UK to USA
Save

Great question, Erin!

Please report back to this forum what information you gather from the airline and elsewhere, such as "Does the dog require a passport?"

Best Regards

Edinburgh, United...
2 posts
3. Re: traveling with service dog UK to USA
Save

Thanks for your replies to my post! I’ve tried to find an email for United because I was thinking the same. I even went as far as to message them on Twitter for an email that I could contact, but they said they are only reachable by phone. Which is also tricky because one person says one thing and another person says a different thing. I just know that I’m going to have trouble when I get to the airport but I want to find out if maybe someone else was in the same shoes as me and what happened. I will keep calling the airline and hope to get some straight answers!

London, England
Level Contributor
12,838 posts
69 reviews
63 helpful votes
4. Re: traveling with service dog UK to USA
Save

Erin

I don’t know the answer to your question, but try sending an email to the CEO of the company. You should be able to find it by Googling. You may also find the answer on the CAA website, or send them an email.

Essex
Level Contributor
36,950 posts
62 reviews
198 helpful votes
5. Re: traveling with service dog UK to USA
Save

I see your thread on the Travelling with Pets forum went rapidly downhill, despite one person really trying to help you.

The truth is that it is only the official folk of the airline or the USA who can help you. USA is difficult because each different State has their own rules for allowing pets in, so you will have to contact 'wherever' and find out about all of the documentation you need and the regulations you need to fulfil.

Although I'm sort-of impressed that you have trained your own dog to do his/her job, how do you officially prove that he/she is a true service dog and not just a pet or ESA??

At the end of the day, the Customs or Immigration services are at the least going to laugh at you, or at the worst lock you up if all you can say is "someone on Tripadvisor said/suggested......" and you don't meet their strict regulations.

Lake George, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: traveling with service dog UK to USA
Save

The ADA (in the US) is the law that governs how people (with disabilities) using a service dog. There are also state and local laws but the lae that must be followed (in reference to places of public accommodation) is the law that gives the person with a disability the most protection. So if the state law give more protection, that is the law that must be followed and if the federal (ADA) gives more protection, then that is the law to follow. Always check the local/state laws in some cases you may find they give even more protection than the ADA.

Edited: 21 August 2021, 17:22
West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
100,159 posts
99 reviews
631 helpful votes
7. Re: traveling with service dog UK to USA
Save

Old post from January.

It's too bad that Erin never returned to tell us about the flight and what took place.

Essex
Level Contributor
36,950 posts
62 reviews
198 helpful votes
8. Re: traveling with service dog UK to USA
Save

Yes RT, that actually would have been helpful for once!

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: traveling with service dog UK to USA
Save

Hi Erin, Could you tell us how your flight went? I am traveling from the US to Mexico and have the same questions you had before your flight and I'd love to know if you have any advice for me. I also get different answers on the phone from the airline. I don't think Volaris' employees are familiar at all with service animals.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas, Cozumel
Level Contributor
15,700 posts
10. Re: traveling with service dog UK to USA
Save

I know you are home by now...but just if others are reading this and wanting help from United...they have the best Didabilities phone line and people who help... Here is that link...

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/special-needs/disabilities.html#assistance

Reply to: traveling with service dog UK to USA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.