We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Africa Itinerary

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Africa Itinerary

My husband and I have are taking 6 months off work and plan to spend 3-4 months in Africa plus 2-3 months in South America.

I’m trying to tackle planning for one continent at time .... my issue is that the wish list is huge and try as I might to narrow it down into a realistic itinerary, I still have way more planned than we can squeeze in.

We would like to focus on East and Southern Africa. The countries we’d like to visit are:

Ethiopia

Kenya

Tanzania

Uganda/Rwanda

Malawi

Mozambique

Madagascar

South Africa

Botswana

Namibia

Zambia

Zimbabwe

I won’t list all the individual places and activities but our main interests are wildlife, nature, learning about local culture, history and meeting local people, hiking, snorkelling and food. We definitely want to go gorilla trekking and on safari and we’d love to volunteer if we can find a genuine organisation to work with.

We plan to mix up some independent travel with tours, using local companies and guides wherever possible. We are happy to camp and stay in budget accommodation or homestays and to mix in a few nights in lodges or luxury accommodation along the way.

Mostly we want to make sure we try to choose ethical/sustainable options that don’t negatively impact the places we visit.

So with all that said i would love to hear opinions on which destinations people would recommend over others or any advice, thoughts, opinions .... I know we can’t do it all .... but it’s so hard to choose so some ideas based on people’s experiences would be very much appreciated....

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Africa Itinerary

I have not been to southern Africa; the only place in Africa I have been is Morocco. However, I can advise you about South America if that is where you really want to go. When I went, Venezuela and Colombia were safer than they are now. Although I speak fluent Spanish, I would not go back to those countries now. Think of further south.

Please do feel free to message me.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Africa Itinerary

One more thing – your list of places to visit is huge and obviously will have to be narrowed down for 2 to 3 months each continent. You’ll unlikely have time to do any meaningful volunteering so I would forget about that idea. Concentrate on your top choices and plan on spending a decent amount of time in each of your chosen locations, rather than jumping about and not really absorbing anything substantial.

It sounds like a wonderful trip so I hope, with a good planning, it all works out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Africa Itinerary

I would take Ethiopia out of the equation due to the state of emergency. Zambia, Botswana and South Africa, I'd recommend if you like safaris. Good luck

4. Re: Africa Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2018, 18:05

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
1,063 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Africa Itinerary

I have been to Tanzania, it was well worth it, you can PM me any questions

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Africa Itinerary

Hi there, I am going to Tanzania in September, would appreciate suggestions of what not to miss. And if you went from there to any other country then let me know as well. Thought of visiting one or two more countries while there.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Africa Itinerary

I would suggest you stick to one continent but I wouldn't completely rule out the idea of 2 continents. Here are my suggestions that MIGHT work for you,4 months in Africa & 2 months in South America should help your dream.

Start in Uganda because you can do your Gorilla Walk/Safari here. From Uganda you can travel to Kenya or Tanzania and depending on your mode of travel you might be able to visit Lake Victoria. In both Kenya and Tanzania you can stay by the Indian Ocean either before or after your safaris.

You could go from Uganda to Tanzania and travel to the Serengeti. From the Serengeti you can pass from Tanzania to Kenya by entering the Mara. From there you could visit Kakamega Forest (a rain forest) and proceed across Kenya towards the Indian Ocean stopping at Kisumu if you haven't managed to visit Lake Victoria before this point. Amboselli is where you will find many Ellie's. I think Meru is where there are lots of Lions.

For Volunteering I would suggest looking at either Uganda or Kenya at the beginning of either country. This is why I suggest 4 months in Africa, 1 month for Volunteering and month in each country before flying into South America.

Hope that helps.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Africa Itinerary

i would suggest the three East African countries. You start with Uganda, Kenya and then Tanzania and maybe finish off in South Africa. Hope this helps you.

Reply to: Africa Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions