We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelocity

rhode island, USA
Level Contributor
41 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Travelocity

Does anyone have any recent reviews for booking with Travelocity? Any problems, complaints, compliments. This will be our first time booking a trip to Cancun with them and want to make sure they stand behind their product.

94 replies to this topic
New York City
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelocity

Please do not book through Travelocity. You'll be saving yourself a lot of grief that can be avoided. I just got off the phone with them and this has got to be one of my worst experiences ever and we travel a lot! I booked a flight for a family member and received a confirmation email. Few hours later, I received another email stating that I need to call Revenue Protection Department to verify my purchase. Ok, I called and spoke to an Indian rep named Clement. I have Indian friends who are great but it's not great when you sound inexperienced, can't speak fluent English, mumbles constantly and your idea of security questions amounts to my name and the traveler's name and was told, "You're good to go". I never received the email confirmation after that call as promised. Called back the actual number on Travelocity.com and had an Indian rep who promptly told me that I still wasn't verified and I have to speak to the Revenue Protection Department. I told her I just spoke to them and she said she has to transfer me because they are the only ones who can help me. Spoke to another Indian called Jake from Revenue Protection Department. Mumbled again, broken English, couldn't answer my questions and asked me my name and traveler's name and said, "You're good to go" and again, no email as promised. By this time, it's already been an hour. I called the main number again and asked for a manager or supervisor and found out that I received an Indian "Senior Agent" named Harry. I asked him for his "real" name, he kept on insisting it was Harry. I said politely (though I was about to scream!!!) that you are obviously indian so you must have an Indian name and he finally mumbled his name and I worked it out with him for at least a few mins before getting, "Hitesh". I told him I wanted to speak to a supervisor and he transferred me to one who again, an Indian who couldn't speak proper English and while i was trying to address my concerns about Travelocity's lack of service and competence, he kept interrupting and asked, "But you got your confirmation email already, right?" But that's beside the point, why tell your customers you're "good to go" when obviously I'm not? And if things couldn't get any worse, he hung up on me while I was speaking half-way. I am NEVER EVER going to use Travelocity again!!!

rhode island, USA
Level Contributor
41 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelocity

thank you so much!! we had already decided not to go with them, but you made me feel we made the right choice.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelocity

I have been using blind bidding for nearly ten years and this is the first problem I have had. Short version.

Booked 3-Star for 6 nights Top Secret Hotel 4 months ahead of travel. $300 plus purchase

Got Days Inn. Every other Days Inn in the area was 2-Star

Immediately called 3 or 4 times tried to cancel. Was assured it had been remodeled and was 3-Star.

Took the trip - clean, OK, but NOT 3-Star

Returned checked site was now 2-Star.

Have called, emailed, getting the runaround.

Have been offered $50 credit and $25 Credit.

Does anyone have a "Top Secret" way to get this resolved :)

Really, I need help.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelocity

For a hotel to be 3* all they need is the following:

- Clean "curb" or "street" appeal, gift shop, swimming pool, exercise room, full breakfast buffet or 'higher quality' restaurant, rooms slightly larger than a 2* with better linens.

- Rooms must offer coffee makers, hair dryers, movie options, internet access and have valet laundry offered.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,938 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelocity

Octoboy....What is it you want from Travelocity?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelocity

I believe they screwed up and mis-represented the hotel. It did not have good street appeal. No gift shop. No swimming pool. Small old rooms. No restaurant. No valet laundry offered.

Since I tried to correct it immediately, I believe they owe me a credit for the entire stay. Their policy states $50 guarantee. That times the 6 nights would be the price of purchase.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 21:15
Iowa
Level Contributor
9,938 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelocity

Why would you get a free room for 6 nights? You can't and will not get credit for the entire stay. You got a room, stayed in it, and said it was "clean and OK"

You should have taken the $50 credit. They may not offer it again.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelocity

"Their policy states $50 guarantee"

Is that $50 guarantee or $50 guarantee PER night? Technicality is everything in T&C

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelocity

It is times/issues like these when I wonder: are there attorneys that specialize solely in travel related issues?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelocity

"For a hotel to be 3* all they need is the following:...."

Those are the criterias for the AAA Diamond Rating System, as opposed to the Forbes Star Rating System. Most consumers believe it to be the same and alike - where as in reality a vastly different kettle of fish. We can thank poor journalism and tv shows for this misunderstanding.

In the industry, it's considered far easier to achieve the Diamond criteria, as there are numerous quantity based criterias, which doesn't necessarily reflect quality. As long as a hotel meets 27 minimum standard, they are eligible for a rating.

The Star Rating on the other hand has many more specifics (55 criterias last i heard) and the hardest part is getting Forbes to even acknowledge the property - before it gets rated.

It's silly having the two systems existing, money and politics has much to do with it - but, it has some merit.

Say for example there are two hotels side by side. One meets all the requirements of the Diamond classification, pool, valet etc etc. The other may have vastly better quality rooms, best furnishings, best of everything but does not have a pool. If that was your hotel, even though anyone can clearly see that it's better than the hotel next door, would you feel it's fair it won't meet the Two Diamond standards?

But all this certainly doesn't help the confusion amongst consumers, as nobody ever advertises it clearly.

Reply to: Travelocity
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted