We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

Our original plan was to go to Ambergris Caye in Belize for a week in February, but airfare is getting to be too expensive so I'm starting to look at other options.

We'd like to spend around $1500 for flights (that's for two people) and another $1000 for accommodations. We'll be flying from Chicago and we aren't looking for an all-inclusive type vacation. What we are looking for is warm weather, nice beaches, lots of cocktails and delicious fresh seafood, and a place where we can do some exploring. We spent a week in San Juan, Puerto Rico last year and loved it - so something like that would be perfect. We're in our early 30s and pretend that we still like to party like rock stars, but in reality we don't see the other side of midnight very often.

Anyone have any ideas?

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

I'm normally not a big fan of Jamaica, but it may be a good option for you... They should have pretty good/warm weather in Feb., there is enough competition to make airfares reasonably priced, and there is a wide selection of resorts. Just keep in mind that Feb is about the peak of the high season, so you won't find a lot of great deals.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,018 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

Mexico (Cancun, Riviera Maya, Cabo, PVR), Aruba, and DR are possibilities. From Chicago, within your price range, there are many options to Cancun and a wide range of resorts.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

Another option: US Virgin Islands. The islands of St Croix, St John and St Thomas offer all that you are wanting.

Not too touristy, wonderful beaches and beautiful waters, good snorkeling and diving and a diversity of restaurants.

Try this website: www.gotostcroix.com to get some perspective on the islands.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

Air Jamaica has a direct flight out of Chicago – usually less than the domestics.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely look into the Virgin Islands. Mexico I've done several times so I'd like to try and find something a little different.

As far as Jamaica goes...my understanding was that it is generally not safe to leave the resort...is that still the case?

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

You will find a lot of people who say it is perfectly safe to "wander" in Jamaica (within reasonable limits), and it may be. But, I just know that I did not feel "comfortable" walking off-resort unless I was in an organized tour group. That's why I'm not normally a big fan of Jamaica, and that's a shame, because it is a beautiful country/island.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

Try Eleuthera a very little known about destination. I went on orbitz just to check flights and it seemed reasonable to me but I didn't go into alot of detail. If you find it interesting visit my forum and ask away. Cheers, Deb

Toronto
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

Hi!

I don't know anything about Belize, but if that's where you'd prefer to go, Expedia.com seems to have airfare from Chicago all throughout Feb for just within your price range (730 pp)...perhaps the prices went down since you checked?

If the airfare is still too expensive, some other ideas might be Aruba, Barbados, or St. Maarten. (the St. Maarten airfare is about half the price!)

Atanta
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

We have gone to Jamaica many many times. We had no problems there - we went to town, we took our kids horse back riding, we did so many things. You should really try it at least once. We are going back this summer cause my youngest asked to go back. She wants to do the water falls again.... Lots of fun.. Food is good there...

Atanta
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help - Warm Weather Vacation in February

You should try out Jamaica - beautiful and safe..

We have taken our kids many times. We go shopping outside of our resorts, horseback riding, and you must do the water falls - Dunn Rivers Falls.... we have never had any issues in Jamaica - we are going back this summer.