We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photos - new feature?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
52,037 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Photos - new feature?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d146932…

Open the travellers' photos on the above hotel. Photos now have a thumbs up and thumbs down, report as inappropriate button and a "filter photos by ....." drop down menu.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g793329-d145399…

The second one has a different layout, with thumbs up to click on each thumbnail, and the filter choices in a list down the right side.

Not too keen on the thumbs down. I thought TA didn't want to include a thumbs down. At the moment I'm favouring the 'list on the side' option over the drop down menu option.

Generally, I think it is a good improvement.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,666 posts
1,026 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photos - new feature?

I've seen many like your second example, so I'm assuming it's the "older" one?

Thumbs down has been on photos for some time. I use it to 'vote' against those that are in the wrong location or irrelevant or blurry. I also report all of those but rarely does it do any good.

I irritates me when photos are of the wrong location!

I like the complete separation of traveler v. management photos in your first link.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,049 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photos - new feature?

Thumbs up & thumbs down appeared on both links for me after opening the 'photo viewer.' The 'professional photos' link or clicking the larger photo didn't work. The larger photo link on the 2nd link didn't work either (unless I did a right-click and it showed a larger version of the pic via 'view image').

I hope it's still a work in progress!

Edited: 10 March 2012, 03:30
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
52,037 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photos - new feature?

halfBrit ~ I've not seen the drop down menu before. I look at photos fairly regularly, but haven't seen either the "show only" or "filter by." Or maybe just not noticed them. I like the separation of trav photos from prof photos as well. I actually like what they've done with the photos.

sodomojo ~

I'm not really up on terminology, so I'm not sure what "photo viewer" means. I clicked on the words "41 traveller photos" and "61 trav photos" to get the photo pop up. Is that what you did for the photo viewer?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,049 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photos - new feature?

Sorry MMM, sometimes I write like I think I know what I'm talking about (lol)!. By photo viewer I just mean that the main web page is greyed out and you get a smaller box on the screen which shows the photos you can scroll through.

Yes, I clicked on the '61 traveler photos' and '41 traveler photos' links to view the pictures. Thumbs up & thumbs down appeared on both.

5. Re: Photos - new feature?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 09:42