We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$499 annual fee for United's econ plus....is it worth it?

USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
$499 annual fee for United's econ plus....is it worth it?

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing United's econ plus plan, and I just wanted some opinions for other traveler's as to whether or not you think it's worth it. I think it would be great for frequent business flyers, however I'm on the fence for me. I travel about 3-5 times a year for work, and one or two of these flights are international.

Any thoughts?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $499 annual fee for United's econ plus....is it worth it?

Do a couple of dummy bookings for trips you will take, and see what the buy up to E+ is. Keep in mind that if you purchase an annual option, you can take another person up to E+ with you.

Only you can decide if it's worth it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $499 annual fee for United's econ plus....is it worth it?

Do you think Economy Plus is worth it? That's a good place to start. If so then tot up the E+ buy ups for your likely itineraries and see if it's less than the cost of buying the membership. Take into account the companion benefits too.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
954 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $499 annual fee for United's econ plus....is it worth it?

For me it's been a good deal. I am careful about when I purchase it - timing it to cover several trips, at least one international. Because my companion travels with me in EC + we actually split the cost and it works out about the same thing we would spend to add the EC + option to one international round trip for each of us. We put it in my name and I then get to use it for the rest of the year.

It's not business class - but those extra 5 inches make a huge difference for me.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $499 annual fee for United's econ plus....is it worth it?

Yes, it has ben useful for me-we ttravel to Hawaii in Jan/Feb.annualy, so, I can take two trips to HAwaii with my wife to the Islands, for the annual fee of E+. I also take other short term flights like to New York, Toronto etc.-it is all covered by the annual E+ fee-very worth it.

USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $499 annual fee for United's econ plus....is it worth it?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your responses. When I upgraded to EC+ to Sweden last year, it made a WORLD of difference! Unfortunately I had to pay an extra $450 bucks for it (well, my employer did). It'lI cost about the same for my upcoming international trip so I think I'm gonna go with it. I have two international trips this year and I believe I can book two of them thru United. Plus, I can use it for the other domestic flights. I do hate that we can't use it with Continental :(

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $499 annual fee for United's econ plus....is it worth it?

I like having EC+ and I am not a big person either. Just like the space and being toward the front. I wonder if your employer can pay for the annual fee as business expense. Usually if the flight is more than 6 hrs some companies have to buy you business seats, so this is dirty cheap (hint hint).

I am hoping that eventually it will cover Continental too.

7. Re: $499 annual fee for United's econ plus....is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2013, 09:28
Get answers to your questions