We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Privium in Schipol

London
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
Privium in Schipol

More of a warning. Don't spend you money on Privium. There could be good reasons to have good access to a lounge, I had once when the ash cloud gave a 6 hour delay. But 99% of the time when you need a lounge it is because you are abroad and are uncertain about the time it takes to get to the airport. Another reason to get the Privium is to get the Iris thing, but be aware that it is actually rarely needed in Schipol (not my favourite airport and after 2 years in Holland I could tell stories about the abusive behaviour of the border patrol) but the entry is actually fairly quick, as long as you are white and from northern Europe. To top the Privium experience off I have never been with a smile or any kind of attentive service, with the exception of the foreign bus boys cleaning. My final straw have been that when moved back to London and cancelled my subscription (paid for by work) they claimed the full amount because they only got the cancellation a month and a half before renewal - it should have been 8 weeks before, not 6. So they naturally sent it to incaso after having known about it for 6 months and failed to inform me that they wanted the money... lovely service isn't it?

So in short, ask yourself, do you really need the Iris thing to save 5 minutes of travel time? Do you really need a lounge? Do you really need to met by grunts and annoyance that you disturb the people paid by your money? and do you really need the aggravation of an inflexible company that will rather fight ex-customers than miss out on 1 payment?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Privium in Schipol

I have lived in Amsterdam for over 12 years and still fly through it as a matter of choice,it is a far nicer place to transit than CDG or LHR. The border police and security may not be super charming but they are a lot nicer than most that I have encountered in in many other countries inc UK.

Privium is really only of use to NL residents who I am sure unstand the terms and conditions and know the consequences otherwise,it is a shame you did not read them they are after all available in English.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,372 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Privium in Schipol

I have been a privium member for I think 5 years. i only have the basic package as I don't like to hang around aiprots even if there are free food and drinks in the very niice lounge. It has saved me on a number of occassions queing up for 20 mins to get through security. Of course I presume you were only flying back and forth from the UK so with security at the gate the only queues would be for passport control. However I flew out to Spain and Prague and Warsaw recently (whihc are of course Schengen and only have one security point) and I can assure you that during the middle of summer there is more than a 5 minute wait whereas I just breezed through.

Don't know what you are complaing about anyway if you didn't actually pay for it and you still moan.

Some people are never happy eh!

Edited: 01 August 2011, 19:17
3. Re: Privium in Schipol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 07:17
Get answers to your questions