We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baltic Cruise

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Baltic Cruise

Anybody been on Thompson Spirit, Baltic cruise , would you bother with the trips, or do it yourself, what dress code do they have on ship, any bad bits to miss, any help at all would be great, thank you , Ian

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baltic Cruise

Hi Ian,

Welcome to TripAdvisor!

Glad to see you in the forums. This forum, HUMTAB, is for making suggestions for improving the site itself. There are many forums: destination and non-destination. To find forums, there are a few ways:

1. click on more in the green bar at the top

2. in the large search box at the top, type in what you're looking for, e.g. Vancou*ver BC Forum

3. Here's a link you can go to:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ForumHome

For future reference, there is a Support Forum which helps members use the site and assists with features and how-to's. You might want to add this link to your favorites (there's also a Help Centre at the bottom of each page):

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvis…

So, to answer you question, here are a few suggestions. There is a TA Cruise Forum:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.h…

There's also the sister site Cruise Critic which is on the main Forum page and is a affiliated with TripAdvisor:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Hope this helps.

L4

PS I see your question has been moved to the appropriate forum.

Edited: 02 January 2012, 15:39
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
2. Re: Baltic Cruise

Hi 24012804,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question on our Help Us Make TripAdvisor Better forum, so I have moved it on your behalf to the Cruises forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.…

which is, admittedly, difficult to find and does not receive a lot of traffic from our members. I would recommend that you also consider checking out our sister site: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/ which is a travel resource site devoted to Cruises of all kinds, in destinations around the world.

You might also consider posting a question in the TripAdvisor Destination forum for the Port City from which the Thomson Spirit departs, or one of the Ports of Call along that ship's itinerary -- are you planning on departing out of Newcastle, UK?

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g186394-i420-Newca…

I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor support Team

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baltic Cruise

Hi TA_Jane, thank you for your help in putting me on the right thingy-bob, your dealing with a 64 year old,( explains a lot ), yes we leave from Newcastle, and we live in the UK, if you didn`t already know, may I wish you all a happy new year, and thank you again, 24012804

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baltic Cruise

Hi Ian,

Here's a link to reviews for Thomson Spirit: cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/…

On this forum there are some threads about Spirit ... enter "Thomson Spirit" in the search box above your first post to see past threads.

Re the ports, we like exploring on our own where possible, but in St. Petersburg, unless you get a visa (which is expensive) you'll need to do a tour with the cruise line, or arrange a private tour. Some of the cities that we explored on our own were Stockholm, Tallin, Helsinki, Copenhagen and Hamburg. The Cruise Critic Baltic forum might be of help with planning for some of your ports: boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

The FAQ's on Thomson's website has info on the dress code as well as other aspects of the cruise: thomson.co.uk/cruise/…got-a-question.html

Susan

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baltic Cruise

Hi Susan, thank you for your reply, this will be our first cruise so its nice to ask someone that has been on one , I know not everybody is the same, what one likes another doesn`t , like you , we prefer to go alone if possible, thanks again.

Last year we did Isle of Wight (UK) Barcelona, and Athens, so if you aint been you can ask. Happy New Year to you, Ian

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baltic Cruise

Hi Ian,

The Baltics was our first cruise ... what a great itinerary for an introduction to cruising! I booked that cruise only a few months out from sailing date, and I wasn't on any travel forums at that time (2000) to do research, so with just a Fodor's guidebook in hand we managed very well in the ports on our own and saw many highlights.

We've been to Barcelona and Athens (stayed in both cities pre and post cruise during Med cruises) and thoroughly enjoyed both cities. Haven't been to the Isle of Wight yet ... I will add it to my list. Next up for us is South America this month (a land trip) ... Buenos Aires and Patagonia. Had considered cruising around Cape Horn from Santiago to Buenos Aires, but we like to maximize our time on land during vacations, so a land trip made more sense for this trip (since the cruise had 6 sea days out of 14 days).

Good luck with your plans and hope you enjoy your first cruise!

Susan

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
4,975 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baltic Cruise

Ian, Susan has given you amazing first hand advice. Just want to mention...about private tours in St. Petersburg....

....if you can find a "roll call" online of other people on the ship at the same time as you, you can put together a private group, or join one someone else has organized.

Since you don't mention dates, I can't find one for you. But you might find one here:

boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

However, the separate roll calls section of the Cruise Critic site requires you to be a member to view it. Signing up is easy, similar to TripAdvisor. Once you do so, you can look for Thomson roll calls here:

If you fail to find a group to join, some of the tour companies in St. Petersburg will try to match you to a group. Dendrus is the one I know best:

http://denrus-us.com/custom/share/

There are many others.

Also, Denrus offers a "set tour" you can join. This is more like the cruise line's own "herd" tour, but at least it's lower priced.

Here's a Cruise Critic article on private tours:

www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1304

Also, this Cruise Critic Northern Europe board is a great place to ask questions about reliability of various guides.

Normally, I'd direct you to a similar TripAdvisor board. However, the St. Petersburg cruise experience is completely different from a land tour, so I think CC has the information edge.

8. Re: Baltic Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2013, 10:18