We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiwi.com

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Topic
Kiwi.com

Although we know the risks from booking tickets with the lowest cost internet services, what is the view on KIWI.COM? They offer, through connecting flights using low cost flights, very low international air fares on their website.

The criticism always was that as they are usually using separate carriers, if a connection is missed, the customer loses out. They have to make alternative arrangements on the spot themselves and there is no legal redress if they have to pay more, as they are not using the same carrier.

Kiwi.com makes a promise on their website that in case of missed connections, they will (one way or the other) make sure the customer does not lose out.

What's the flaws (if any) with this?

458 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiwi.com

They do NOT offer connecting flights with lowcost carriers, the flights will be on seperate tickets. They do offer their own protection although it comes with limitations and exclusions so read the T&C carefully. They used to trade under the name skypickers.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,035 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiwi.com

They are still a third party between you and the airlines if anything needs to be sorted out. I would rather pay airlines more to have direct flights or proper protected connections.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
841 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiwi.com

They're a pile of shonksters with tons of complaints on here who cobble together separate tickets as one "booking".

Don't be a fool. Book directly with the airline.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,866 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiwi.com

I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Even if this "protection coverage" is genuine the T+Cs make it very difficult to make a claim, especially if you're stranded somewhere overseas and panicking. Also, they don't give you any breakdown as to what each of the separate tickets cost, and although they state "one free checked bag" there have been many complaints that they haven't booked the flights that way.

Book your flights on one ticket to get the in-built protection from the airline(s). And it's best by far to book directly with the airlines. Only if the airline(s) concerned don't show a suitable itinerary should you consider a third party, and that third party should be a reputable **full service** travel agent, not an online booker.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiwi.com

Thanks for the advice. I have used the online services that offer lower fares and I can't say I have problems with those. Don't forget that most of the time (though not always) paying directly with the airlines is going to be dearer, sometimes considerably so, and I need to take this into account. That said, I would consider going with Kiwi.com perhaps a step too far. I know they were formerly known as skypickers. However, so far as I know, skypickers did not offer any guarantees over missed connections.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,098 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiwi.com

In my experience, booking direct with airlines has not been much more expense at all. In fact often much the same. For piece of mind, there is only one way to go! I normally pay around 6-7k for a ticket, so why would i put myself at risk for a few hundred?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
841 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiwi.com

Booking with the airline is not always more expensive. And if something goes wrong, you can deal directly with them, rather than having to go through whatever shonkster you chose to book with.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,297 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiwi.com

Don't forget that most of the time (though not always) paying directly with the airlines is going to be dearer, sometimes considerably so

-----------------

Incorrect.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiwi.com

"Don't forget that most of the time (though not always) paying directly with the airlines is going to be dearer"

That's not the case IME.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,661 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiwi.com

My experience is that while there are loads of fares advertised that look to be cheaper then the airlines websites, these fares are rarely available when you try and book.

Reply to: Kiwi.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted