We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

I've had two separate flights to book today. Both times I've seen amazing deals on Skyscanner. Both of them were through Travelgenio on Skycanner. The first one was advertised on Skyscanner as being $260 US dollars. When I clicked through to buy it, the price on the website as listed in pounds, but ended up costing close to $400. Obviously I didn't book it, and when with another website whose price didn't almost double with taxes and fees.

Then I went to book my second flight. Again, the cheaptest and best flight was listed for 780, and again, it was by Travelgenio. So I click through to book it, thinking maybe the other one was a fluke, but no. It ended up being $1,000 USD!! However, if I hadn't converted it from British pounds, the price would have looked normal and I would have booked it.

I'm upset with Skyscanner for letting such a deceitful company advertise through their website. Please don't make the mistake!

532 replies to this topic
Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,755 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

The advice on here is to book tickets directly with the airline. As you found out, cheap fares on third party websites rarely end up being cheap at all!

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

That was another weird part. The flight was through Gulf Airlines, but then when I went directly to their website, they said they didn't have any flights for that day. The whole thing was weird. I ended up using Student Universe, and they give the price of the flight plus the extra fees up front, so you can compare it knowing the absolute final prices.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,614 posts
169 reviews
3. Re: Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

Why are you booking flights through 3rd party agents on Skyscanner ?

Have you not seen any posts at all advising you not to do this ?

Just bizarre what people will do for a CHEEP flight

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
24,137 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

I don't understand your currency point but most third parties - and I don't believe Student Universe is much different - don't advertise (key word which you got right) live prices.

Skyscanner and other comparison sites are best used to get an idea of see who flies where before booking direct with the airline or at least using a reputable third party/agent.

Edited: 24 April 2016, 17:53
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
5. Re: Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

Hi tsandweb, of course we can help you with your booking. Please send us a mail to customer.service@travelgenio.com with all your doubts and we will answer you asap. Regards

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,501 posts
478 reviews
6. Re: Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

You can't blame Skyscanner if Travelgenio are advertising prices that turn out not to be available. That is down to Travelgenio, and they are far from being alone in this practice. You need to know how these things work, and be on your guard. Booking through the airlines is best.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

Sorry for duplicating my post here from another forum boards dedicated to Travelgenio, but I feel obliged to share it with the community. Yes, I can confirm that Travelgenio seems to be a scam. I have booked the tickets Davao - Hong-Kong via Manila through them. The flight was cancelled by Philippine Airlines (PAL) because of the typhoon in Manila. Nobody called me or sent a message. I have arrived to the airport where I had to take another flight around the typhoon with another airline company. I've called Travelgenio, and they told me that there is no problem in issuing the refund, and they will contact me in 2-3 days. Nobody contacted me again. In one week I've sent them email asking to contact the PAL for the full refund. They answered that they have already contacted the airlines and were waiting for their response. In a few days, I've sent them a new reminder and then contacted the airline directly. The PAL is a very friendly airline and their customer service is great. They showed a good will and tried to contact Travelgenio on their own to coordinate the refund with them, but to no avail. Then they asked me to send a message to Travelgenio or contact them directly and request that Travelgenio would coordinate the refund with them. Three weeks after cancellation of the flight have gone and Travelgenio is completely silent. I have sent them email again, but it seems there is no chance to get anything from them. So my very sincere advice - just stay away from Travelgenio, they really seem to be scammers.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
8. Re: Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

Hi Vladnet, airlines are the ones that cancell flights. We would like to check your case in detail. Please send us a mail to customer.service@travelgenio.com and we will contact you to clarify what happened. Regards

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

You have already replied in the emails that you're contacting the airlines. We talked by phone, I've sent you emails. Why to come here and lie to me?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
10. Re: Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner

We need to identify your booking to make the follow to your case. Could you please tell us your booking code?

Reply to: Beware of Travelgenio on Skyscanner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted