We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

Just tried to use my Avion reward points for a trip to Europe, which I have done successfully before. I know I have to pay the taxes and fees but can use my points for the fare. Trying to book 2 tickets will cost 130,000 points, which I have BUT the points won't cover the 'carrier surcharge' which was over $900 for two tickets. So, if I used my points, I would have to pay an additional $1300, which is the price of one flight if I book through the airline and pay cash. RBC says they only cover the base fare which was about $700 and a ticket to Europe can go up to $1300, but they won't cover the 'carrier surcharge' of $450 per ticket. Isn't this part of the fare? It isn't imposed by a government or airport. RBC Avion is apologetic but says that they only cover BASE fair and that using points for travel to Europe isn't a very good use of points right now. Reconsidering my Avion card ....

27 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,910 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

Also reconsider any Aeroplan cards. I am finding our limited Canadian flight points cards to be poor value for outside North America as you can end up paying almost the ticket price due to these taxes ans 'surcharges'. I understand the TD travel card has also reduced their point values by 25% last month. I think no fee and cash back might be a better card and just watch for sales. Put the cashback into a 'travel' account if that is how you want to use any dividends.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

RBC is a poor value card.

Aeroplan--you can book to Europe with nominal taxes and fuel surcharges as long as you pick the right airlines to fly on (and by that I mean not Air Canada)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

Which airline?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

UA, SAS, LX, LOT,TK for Europe with fewer (or no) fuel surcharges via Aeroplan.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

I'll add "SN" to MapleG's list of Aeroplan options to Europe with no fuel surcharges.

Aeroplan can provide excellent value, but it takes some time to learn the tricks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

And if you want good value for Aeroplan, redeem for business class flights rather than economy (outside of North America)

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

We are just looking into booking tickets for the same scenario - so the airline charges the carrier surcharge? This is absolutely ridiculous that the 65,000 points (max $1,300 dollar ticket price) will not cover any portion of this. Like you said, why bother using the points then, when you can just buy the ticket for close to the same amount of your two surcharges? Like usual, another hidden condition that is just another disappointment.

Edited: 29 December 2016, 02:54
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

I've just had the same experience, for travel to Israel. Air Canada had a huge "carrier surcharge" (more than 50% of the "base fare"), and Avion would only use points for the base fare. No bargain, especially when I got the ticket via Expedia without--yes without-- the "carrier surcharge". I plan to use up Avion points on merchandise, and look for another card plan that is kinder to my travel budget.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

just had the same experience> 2 flights from yyz to berlin should use up 2x 65,000 points. However "CARRIER SURCHARGE" was $1,000 for 2 tix. Ridiculous. Avion needs to be crystal clear about the mix of points and fees. Certainly not worth it for this application

Stratford, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe

I also just the same experience, the carrier surcharge tried to add $350 for one flight to London. So essentially, I am getting about $600 value for 65,000 RBC express points. Why in hell would I do that when I can get $1,500 Canada or US value for 70,000 RBC express points. Not too happy with RBC right now!

Reply to: Beware trying to use RBC Avion points to book Europe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted