We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair Online Check-in

Bourne...
Level Contributor
161 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair Online Check-in

Hello,

I've read several reviews and complaints regarding Ryanair on Tripadvisor, Skytraxx and I have not seen this question listed . My question is if I were to use online check-in using the web,smartphone or pda prior to arriving at the airport would I be able to reprint my boarding pass at a Ryanair kiosk? or would I have to have the actual printed boarding pass from online check-in? Here in the States your able to check-in online via the methods listed above and reprint your boarding pass at a airline kiosk prior to entering the security/boarding area.

I have four separate o/w reservations on Ryanair May-June 2007. It seems that I would have to check-in online and print the boarding pass at a internet cafe prior to travelling to the airport unless someone has a suggestion on how to approach this.

Regards

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,567 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair Online Check-in

The simple answer for you (assuming that you are an American citizen) is that you will not be able to check in on line. Online check in is available only to EU passport holders.

Boarding passes can be reprinted but Ryanair being Ryanair, they charge a "boarding pass re-issue fee" of £13.50 or €20 - another example of Ryanair charging for non-existent costs. £1 to cover staff time, ink and paper seems fairer to me.

Bourne...
Level Contributor
161 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair Online Check-in

Thank you for your response and clarifying the online check-in process. Being a US citizen I assume that I would have to arrive at the airport early (2hrs+) and obtain a boarding pass by standing in the Ryanair que. Is it fair to say the extra 3euros for the online check-in priority boarding was a waste of my money?

Regards

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,567 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair Online Check-in

Yes to both of your questions.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,567 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair Online Check-in

Very interesting. Thanks to this post I have just discovered another Ryanair scam.

If you do not have any bags to check in you are FORCED to accept on-line check-in and priority boarding at £4 a time - even if you do not qualify for on-line check in.

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair Online Check-in

You do not have to pay for the online check in/priority boarding when booking a new ticket even if you do not have bags to check in. It is the same as the insurance, it is added automatically but you need to untick the box just to travel with 'Bags 0 and no priority boarding'. And therefore pay no extra. If you do pay for priority boarding but do not use the online check in you will be given a priority boarding ticket at check in which allows you to get on first with the other web check in passengers.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,567 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair Online Check-in

Jack Essex LOOK at the website!

Try to do a booking. When you get to that page, you have a choice to check bags or not. If you choose the no bags option it AUTOMATICALLY adds £2 each way, and there is NO WAY to remove it.

So much for Ryanair's much vaunted policy of "you only pay for the services you want". I can't use online checkin and I don't want priority boarding. So if I make a booking, Ryanair has just stolen £4 of my money. But as I say, lying, cheating and stealing is their standard business method.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,567 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair Online Check-in

Ah, they have just added a tiny link, barely noticeable, to remove the online check-in.

But the point remains. If you only pay for what you want, the default should be zero, and you add the services (insurance, online check-in etc.) that you want, rather than having to find a tiny link to remove the option, or having your nationailty pre-selected (which many people assume is required to make the booking but oops, it adds the fees for insurance). I am sure thousands of people wind up paying for things they don't want or need because of this unethical business practice.

Bourne...
Level Contributor
161 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair Online Check-in

Hello again,

I did see the option of opting out of the priority boarding when I originally purchased the tickets however, I assumed that I was able to check-in online and I was not aware that option is solely for EU passport holders only.

Since purchasing the tickets and reading many comments about RyanAir.... I learned that RyanAir is somewhat modeled after Southwest Airlines here in the US. To avoid being redundant, I've considered changing one of the flights however the change fee was almost equal to the cost of the ticket.

My biggest challenge ahead flying with Ryanair is to keep within the hand baggage allowance for a 3 week vacation........ and to have plan B in effect if a flight is cancelled.

Thanks again.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair Online Check-in

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

I looked at the Ryanair site to see what WV said about the online check in and if I had waited I could have got my flights in February for half the price I am paying with Easyjet. And what is more I could have flown to an airport which is nearer to my unltimate destination instead of some out of the way place like Barcelona !!

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair Online Check-in

You have always been able to opt out of the Pre boarding when booking a ticket. Again, passengers do not read the website properly and then get angry when they pay for something they didn't intend to pay for.