We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

Manila, Philippines
5 posts
1 review
How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

By the end of the month, we will be going around SE via AirAsia. Our flights are as follows:

MNL-KUL

KUL-KBV

KBV-SIN

SIN-BKI

BKI-MNL

Do they actually weight carry-on bags? Also,this 7kg allowance is in addition to a laptop bag, right?

Thank you so much for your help!

358 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
24,059 posts
378 reviews
1. Re: How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

From their website:-

"You are allowed one piece of cabin baggage of up to 7kg and/or 1 laptop bag or 1 handbag onboard"

http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do?id=61

I assume that as the limit is 7kg then they are strict to this. If they weren't then there wouldn't be a weight limit.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,875 posts
171 reviews
2. Re: How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

You should always expect strict enforcement. Remember the airline may choose to enforce its rules at any time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

Yes they are strict. Stick to what you have agreed to when you purchased the ticket. If you need to, buy checked in luggage

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

We recently flew Air Asia Gold Coast-K/L-Gold coast and at KLIA2 on our return they weighed our carry on luggage and they also had staff at the security check point stopping passengers who thought they would just carry their massive backpacks onto the plane.

There were a lot of people stopped and made to return to check in and check their oversized or overweight luggage in as checked luggage, which becomes VERY expensive, I am sure they wont try it next time.

Air Asia need to be commended for enforcing this rule and other airlines should follow suit, how many times have you done the right thing and then see someone trying to put the Kitchen Sink in the overhead locker?

Edited: 22 September 2015, 08:27
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,155 posts
478 reviews
5. Re: How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

You can and should expect an airline to enforce it's own rules. If you choose to break those rules and you get caught out, you will have no grounds to complain about it.

Laidley, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

I'm a bit confused by AirAsia's website. I read it as I'm allowed one bag that can weigh up to 7kg's. In addition I can have a laptop. It doesn't appear to be a combined weight - or am I just reading it wrong. See here: airasia.com/au/…cabin-baggage.page

"Each guest is allowed one piece of cabin baggage AND 1 laptop bag OR 1 handbag on-board. The main cabin baggage shall not exceed 56cm x 36cm x 23cm and does not weigh more than 7kg. This baggage should also be able to fit under the seat in front of you or the overhead compartment."

Am I missing something ?

Manila, Philippines
5 posts
1 review
7. Re: How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

Based on my experience you can carry 2 bags, long as the other bag is smaller than the other :) and yeah, it's not a combined weight...

Edited: 13 November 2015, 04:54
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
73 reviews
8. Re: How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

You are allowed 1 Carry on case up to 7 kgs and fits their dimensions PLUS a lap top.

On all our flights with Air Asia some 15-20 we have taken a carry on case each which they weigh plus my canon slr camera case and my wife has her handbag and on a few occasions a lap top, what they clamp down on is people with massive back packs trying to enter airside at KLIA2.

We were there in July-Aug. this year and they were really enforcing the carry on rules.

1 post
9. Re: How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

with laptop bag can it be a backpack laptop bag?

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
813 posts
575 reviews
10. Re: How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?

Checked in baggage is the cheapest I've come across. Not worth worrying about just to save a few dollars!

Reply to: How strict is AirAsia with 7kg Carry-on Baggage?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted