We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valid schengen visa on a old passport

4 posts
Save Topic
Valid schengen visa on a old passport

Hi, i was issued a schengen visa from the french consulate for 4 years(2014-2018), the pages got over in my old passport and i have been issued a new passport, I am now travelling to Rome, the french consulate mentions on their website that i do not need to transfer my visa to the new passport and i can travel to schengen countries carrying my old and new passport whereas the italian embassy mentions that the visa needs to be transferred to the new passport. There is hardly any time left for the travel and i am confused what to do?

80 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valid schengen visa on a old passport

Have a look at below links. Indeed there seems to be different advice. Some comments indicate that different Schengen countries have different rules.

Therefore I would ask the Embassy of the country you want to enter for advice and if possible get it in written.

Depends on country: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum…

Visa in old passport is OK:http://www.vfs-france.co.in/FAQ.html

Rather NOT OK: flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1344734-schengen-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187849-i143-k7262…

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valid schengen visa on a old passport

Hi,

I just retuned from a Euro trip. My valid Schengen visa was on my cancelled passport, handed both the valid and cancelled passports to the passport control officer who stamped it with no questions asked.

FYI, my entry and exit point was Germany

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,840 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valid schengen visa on a old passport

Thanks for the info MoeLab, Very useful.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valid schengen visa on a old passport

When europeans still needed a real visa to visit the US I had the same problem, just took my old passport with the visa and show that with my new passport at immigration, no problem.

In case Italy gives you a hard time connect in Paris to get to Rome.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valid schengen visa on a old passport

I know that US ESTA's are not transferrable.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valid schengen visa on a old passport

It was a long before something like ESTA or the internet existed, back then you had to go to a travel agent to book tickets and often they took care of the visa, if not you had to go to the embassy yourself and get it.

manila
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Valid schengen visa on a old passport

Hi guys!

We will be travelling to europe by April20,2016 (london5days, paris5days, and rome6days - then back to london again for our flight going back to manila).

As per advised we need to apply uk visa and schengen visa for france and italy.

1. which embassy do we need to apply the schengen visa, french or italian embassy?

2. we already purchased our 2way airfare (mnl-london-mnl), do we need to purchase the airfares for london-paris, paris-rome, and rome-london? if reservation only, how can we do that?

3. for hotel accomodations for paris and rome, do we need to pay already the hotels? or only reservations? how can we do that?

4. usually, if we call to get an appointment by jan2016 2nd week, when will be our schedule/appoinment to submit application/visa requirements?

5. what are the usual questions during the interview?

6. we are all employed and had several travels already within asia, however, we have renewed our passports so they cannot see all the previous travels. would this affect the approval of our visa?

7. do we need a travel agency to help us through this schengen and uk visa applications? can you recommend one?

thanks you very much for all the help/information you can provide.

allan

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,605 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valid schengen visa on a old passport

Such a pity you've already purchased your return tickets back from London. You should have purchased open jaw tickets to return home from Paris or Rome. This way you'll waste time returning to London. But it's done now.

Look at www.Eurostar.com for train tickets between London and Paris.

Barking
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valid schengen visa on a old passport

Hi JayeshNanda,

I am in a similar situation as you were. I have my valid schengen visa in my expired passport which I used with no issues to enter and exit Switzerland recently. However, I am reading mixed reviews about Italy. Can you please let me know how you tackled this issue?

Thanks,

Sankar

Edited: 04 January 2016, 13:21
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valid schengen visa on a old passport

I am travelling to Portugal on the 23rd Jan. My schengen visa is still valid , but is on my recently expired old Passport. Have used the Multi entry Visa 6 times during the last year. Hopefully I'll be able to use it again

Reply to: Valid schengen visa on a old passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted