We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using E-passports

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,375 posts
Save Topic
Using E-passports

I recently got a new passport and used the e-passport screening at Edinburgh airport for the first time yesterday.is it me or are some people just too stupid to use these.

There was a small queue of folk using these but they all seemed to have great difficulty in doing so.the queue for the nomral passport check moved very quickly but the e-passport queue hardly moved.Once i got to the actual control i followed the instructions and it took less than 10 secomds for everything to be processed. was i just lucky or is my brian actually wired properly to be able to use this equipment

78 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using E-passports

I guess it's just like the self-service checkouts at the supermarket ... the machines tell you exactly what to do but you need to LISTEN for them to work.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Using E-passports

I have an unerring failure record with self scan technology. Guess it's my animal magnetism

Does the e-passport screening say "unexpected item in the bagging area"?

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,030 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using E-passports

One thing I've noticed as a spectacles wearer. The UK now requires you to have your photo taken without glasses, and so you have to use the e-gates without wearing glasses, otherwise the facial recognition doesn't work. This isn't a problem to me as I can still see to use the gates without glasses, but many infrequent travellers don't realise they need to take spectacles off, and if they do, some can't then see what they are doing.

Last time I used an e-gate, despite knowing exactly what to do and having gone through them many times before with my current passport, it still refused to work. The attendant Immigration officer couldn't get it to work either, and I ended up with a manual passport check. Maybe my face has changed shape?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using E-passports

"There was a small queue of folk using these but they all seemed to have great difficulty in doing so"

I used them recently at Manchester Airport and there was no queue at all despite a long queue in the normal line, I suspect there were E-passport holders in that line.

It was relatively straightforward but like everything else new it might take some people a couple of times to become familiar with the procedure.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,053 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using E-passports

had exactly the same experience at EDI Unclegus. Was travelling with my sister and daughter and they went into the normal queue which was quite long. I tried to be clever and use the e-gates. Mistake. They went through before me mainly due to the issues you described. All you have to do is put your passport on the scanner the right way and hold it there and stand still for a few second. Should not be too difficult you would think except the woman in front of me took about two minutes even with the help of a human assistant and she wansn't the only one.

"Unexpected idiot in the immigration area" more like ;-)

Edited: 23 January 2015, 10:54
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,375 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Using E-passports

I kept my glasses on and had no problem but would have taken them off if required to.

I was coming off a flight from Lanzarote last night i think i was one of the younger folk in the queue by about 20 years and i am not far off 60.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using E-passports

I have had mine for 5 years and it has never worked having used BRS; MAN; LHR. I just now go straight to the human being.

London, United...
Level Contributor
686 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using E-passports

I use the E-Passport gates every time I arrive at LHR and agree that there are some people who are too stupid to use the gates.

One guy didn't wait for the green light to enter the actual gate, others stood by the sliding doors despite the footprints showing where you need to stand. It usually takes me less than 30 seconds to pass through and only did not work once.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,887 posts
1,307 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using E-passports

Andy,

<<Maybe my face has changed shape?>>

Let's just say that I do look quite different after a 15 hr. flight, than I did, when my Passport photo was taken - sometimes, I scare myself.

As for glasses, if I took mine off, I could not find the kiosk.

Maybe a reason to be glad that I have a USA Passport, and a GOES card (only works for re-entering USA)...

Hunt

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,337 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using E-passports

People get confused specially if they are using the e passport kiosk for the first time, there is no reason to call them stupid.

Reply to: Using E-passports
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted