We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

Essex, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

Student Universe is offering flight rates that are considerably cheaper than other sites including other student rate sights. Has anyone booked a flight through StudentUniverse? Was your experience good? Bad? Are they legit?

Thanks in advance for any information.

140 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

You should post your question in Air Travel forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

Support Forum is for asking general questions on how to use TripAdvisor website, how to find things on it and how to use its many features.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,079 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

BBB listing for StudentUniverse:

bbb.org/boston/…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,816 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

Interesting that the US BBB offers user reviews. Oh boy, I'm going to stick with my usual advice to book directly with the airline.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
4. Re: Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

Hi harmonybay,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the TripAdvisor Support Forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Air Travel Forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

You always take a risk when you are doing this. You may spend a few more dollars going directly with the airlines (but possibly also not), but if you look on the forum here about all the folks who have had bad experiences going with smaller booking agencies, you can make up your mind whether it's worth it to you.

A lot of experienced travellers strongly recommend booking directly with the airline.

jacksonville
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

Our experience with Student Universe has been horrible. Our daughter spent a semester abroad in Salamanca, Spain, and we used Student Universe for her ticket. Let me just say that it is a bare bones operation. If you have a problem, do not expect them to do anything other than offer platitudes. They are unskilled and have no relationship with the airlines they contract with. We had a problem in that our daughter was pickpocketed the night before she was to return home, therefore she had no credit card with which to pay her excess baggage fee. We simply needed to pay for her baggage with our credit card over the phone. We are still trying to resolve the problem 12 hours later. Our daughter's ticket was with Iberia, and they do not handle anything by phone other than sell tickets. I would not use Student Universe again unless the airline is actually user friendly because Iberia is unreachable and Student Universe doesn't know how to solve problems. It has been a huge nightmare for us - still ongoing.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

"We had a problem in that our daughter was pickpocketed the night before she was to return home, therefore she had no credit card with which to pay her excess baggage fee. We simply needed to pay for her baggage with our credit card over the phone."

That sucks but how does it have anything to do with the site she booked her ticket from? Normally you would be expected to sort that out with the airline directly, Surely the more obvious options would have been to leave some stuff behind or get in touch with her travel insurance.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 00:34
Boston...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

I used StudentUniverse to book my study abroad trip to Florence in college and had no issues. They also address these types of questions on their blog, if you want to check it out. studentuniverse.com/blog/…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

I flew through StudentU earlier this year. Everything was clear, everything was good. No complaints and good deals.

10. Re: Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 20:05

Reply to: Is StudentUniverse reliable and trustworthy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted