We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

London
Level Contributor
608 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

I suffer from really bad pain in my ears when the flight is coming down....(changes to air pressure so I'm told) I have a short flight to Spain coming up...I was wondering do you think If i take some painkillers 20mins before the flight is due to land this would help with the pain?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

I read that advice a few years back and to be honest, it's the only thing that works for my awful ear pain after trying every other solution! I take 2 Ibuprofen about 20 minutes before and it works a treat.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

Take sudafed or similar, eg a decongestant that you'd take if you had a cold. Pain medicine is hiding the symptoms, that may stop the cause. You would have to take it a couple of hours or more beforehand though.

Also, swallowing and wiggling your jaw at the same time can do the job also.SIps of water, wiggle jaw. Its all to do with easing the Eustachian tubes.

Finally, look up Earplanes, I know many say they work, dont need them myself so haven't tried.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
131 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

I also used to suffer terribly when plane was descending. 10 years ago, on a trip to Turkey, we went on a scuba diving outing. As part of the training they taught us how to relieve the pressure by holding your nose and "blowing" steadily harder until your ears pop. Don't do it too hard at first. Just keep up the pressure until both ears clear. You will probably need to do this 2 or 3 times during the descent. I have never experienced ear pain since doing this and I am a frequent flyer. Good luck.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

Should you.not take it earlier? I suspect taking it twenty mins before hand it's acting as a placebo, im sorry.

It takes an average of 45 mins plus for the pills to be broken down and in your system and having any effect. More normally an hour, You can get it to hit your blood stream faster if you chew them up before swallowing.

I would advice taking them an hour before landing. Plus also sucking a sweet or taking a decongestant as joe says. I hold my nose, close my mouth and exhale heavily and it unblocks my ears.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

I've tried that trick repeatedly traveladdict and it's never once worked for me! Although the pain in my ears doesn't last long, it is so painful it seems like a lifetime. Tried the sucking of sweets too, that doesn't work either :(

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,940 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

Since nearly bursting an eardrum after too many flights in too short a time with a cold, I use Earplanes, and if I have any congestion, a decongestant nasal spray. Also usually have a lolly to suck on as we land. Works for me.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

Do you usually get medical advice from anonymous strangers? Yes, you may get some useful hints here, but it's anecdotal. If you have ear pain, you should get checked and find out what problem(s) you have. Some people, like my wife, find chewing gum is enough. Others have other methods of relief. But you really should get checked. Changes in air pressure should be minimal due to the cabin being pressurized. Maybe your problem, if any, is small.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

sutter is, of course, correct. but i shall add my twopence worth anyway! sudafed works for me, as mentioned by joe. but please - try taking these before you travel, in a safe environment when you don't need to drive etc. different people react in different ways - if you are badly affected, you don't want to be on a flight when you find out. and read the instructions about alcohol intake as well.

London
Level Contributor
608 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, although I have tried quite a few before. Heard about the paracetomal & thought maybe others have tried it. I will try the sudafed option.

I will pass on a tip that I use but not always pratical....buy some menthol crystals from chemist/pharmacy. put loads of tissue in a cup, put the crystals on top, get the fa to put boiling hot water on it, then inhale the fumes..but trying to get a flight attendant on cue is not always possible..so can sometimes be a hit & miss, although doesn't get rid of the pain completely I do find it helps somewhat.

But thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ear pressure when flight due to land. Pain relief option?

Earplanes work for me everytime