We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

Travelled on Air New Zealand's Sky Couch in July 2012. Be warned it is not a separate class of travel but amongst the Economy. Travellers in front were normal economy paying pax at night they pushed back their seats to be comfortable and sleep which they had every right to do. We paid an extra $700 approx. for the sky couch and we had to sit up on either side of the couch as the pushed back front seats came right into our faces. My husband and myself are not big people and would have fitted comfortably if the front seats were not pushed back. Air New Zealand pls have a full section of seats together as couch class including the bassinet assigned seats. We were disappointed and totally gutted and it was not a good start to an otherwise very enjoyable trip to the US & Canada. I for sure will not travel Air New Zealand Sky Couch class again.

87 replies to this topic
1. Re: Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 June 2017, 18:05

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,789 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

Hi,

I see your issue... I've looked at the Sky Couch section online..

www.airnewzealand.co.nz/economy-skycouch…

True, it does NOT address where they are-- so there's nothing implied one way or the other..

I think it's a fair point to me made that the other seats remain the same, and to a degree, this is and would be the same had you been in a non-skycouch seat..

.... but in and of itself, the ad to me isn't overtly lacking or deceptive (not that you've alleged such) but is just simply advertising in nature..

Travel Safe,

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

Hi Marian,

Did you do any research into the ANZ "Sky Couch" before you booked it? There are a number of reviews available online that talk about the fact that the space is limited when the seats in front are reclined. Not wanting to get into yet another discussion on reclining (not even with popcorn or choc-tops!), the sky couch seats also have recline functionality.

In addition to reviews by official travel writers, a simple search on this forum would have brought up a number of comments about the sky couch. The general consensus is that for an adult and a child, it's ideal, for two adults, it's not really feasible.

My husband and I tried it LAX-AKL in July as an experiment. I had done some detailed research beforehand and I suspected that it was not going to really work but was prepared to pay the $600 (in our case) to find out. My husband is 5'5" and I'm only 5'2" and it really didn't work as a 'couch'. BUT I LOVED the footrest.

What I usually find with airline seats is that (and all the tall people will hate me for this), with my short legs my feet don't really sit flat on the floor. This means that the seat is uncomfortable against the back of my thighs and in my lower spine.

WIth the footrest on the sky couch seats it can be raised to any height between zero and 90 degrees. so I actually found with the recline and the footrest at about 45 degrees I was reasonably comfortable. More so than I generally am in a bog-standard economy seat. But I can see that for tall people the foot rest would hit them in the back of the calf and actually be a PITA.

The third seat was nice but I'm not sure I'll convince my husband that it is 'worth' the additional money next time (that and having to fly through LAX!). I know all this information is too late to help you, but it may help others who see your post and are considering the sky couch.

Edited: 17 October 2012, 03:02
Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

Thanks for your reply peterscot. We did spend that extra $700/- for the comfort on a long haul sector but got neither any comfort or value. It would have been better if we just travelled in the economy class and used the $700/- else where. Even our email to the airline was not dealt with properly - got a reply only in September 2012 which was pathetic.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

"but amongst the Economy."

One would expect that is where the seats would be located but is pretty poor design on the part of AirNZ then if the reclined seats in front impede on your space.

Sounds like hyped up product not worth purchasing.

Peterscot - "But many people seem to have a priority of safety over comfort or value."

Safety should be a given on any flight with any carrier and is more than likely far from peoples thoughts when they book with AirNZ, they are a safety conscious airline aren't they?.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

Had I know there would be normal economy pax sitting in front of my sky couch seats I would not have travelled sky couch. To me it is false advertising as when doing the booking the picture shows all the couch class seats together and does not show that the first sky couch seats have normal economy seats in front.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

AussieGirl: "WIth the footrest on the sky couch seats it can be raised to any height between zero and 90 degrees. so I actually found with the recline and the footrest at about 45 degrees I was reasonably comfortable."

Being short that would be a bonus I dread the day I have to fly longhaul with no footrest due to airlines thinking they weigh too much...been lucky so far.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,906 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

I believe NZ always said the Sky Couch product is located in the economy section. However, the web page is indeed deceiving (it probably would have deceived me).

I have to agree with OP (particularly in response to #1 above): they paid an extra $700 for comfort which is the issue here.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

re: Jagjetfly - I have an inflatable footrest that works reasonably well. I think it's from "Go Travel" (available on Amazon). But it does get a bit in the way if people have to get past you to get to the aisle.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA

I'm not sure if this is the case on all AirNZ websites but on the UK site, it does state clearly that the sky couch is in economy "The seats themselves are our Economy seats with armrests that disappear into the back of the seat.....What makes the Skycouch different to other Economy seats is the way the trio of seats transform. "

As such whilst booking my flights from LHR to LAX, I decided against upgrading to sky couch, one because I'm only 5ft 4" and find it pretty easy getting to sleep upright, and two because I thought that the recline of seats in front would be a bit of a PITA.

Reply to: Duped by Air New Zealand's Sky Couch travel Auckland to LA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted