We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled passenger

Ruislip, England...
2 posts
Save Topic
Disabled passenger

Could you tell me what seats are allocated for disabled passengers, who need help right to the cabin. Many thanks

Sorry forgot to mention this is for Air Malta from Heathrow to Malta.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 20:49
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled passenger

When you do your booking and you choose, "select seats" (and you must pay extra to select in advance), you get this message:

"We would also like to remind you that passengers who require wheelchair assistance are advised to book window seats only at the front section of the aircraft (emergency exit rows excluded). Failure to comply with this advice will result in having your seats changed at the airport."

So, it appears that you can book any seat but the exit row, and if you want a window seat, you are only supposed to book one in the front section of the aircraft.

Ruislip, England...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled passenger

Many thanks for your fast response, I booked the holiday with Mercury so haven't received anything yet related to the flights, not sure how it works when it's a package deal. I have informed the airline that we need assistance and they have confirmed that this is in place. Perhaps I should try emailing them again to see what they say about the seating.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,268 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled passenger

gracie-boo

I read the statement as 'you have to book a window seat and it must be in the front section'.

When we travelled with our disabled daughter she had to sit in a window seat so that she did not block a row in the event of an emergency.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled passenger

Delicate question...but...uh...what happens with bathroom issues if the person is in a window seat.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled passenger

Karenjme,

Many times the person with a disability cannot even use the restroom if they have mobility issues and cannot transfer from a wheelchair. The bathrooms in many planes are simply too small. We travel frequently with my daughter, who is a wheelchair, and I also advise to look at the types of seats on the plane, if a map is provided. Some of the seats have armrests that go up, which will be very useful in transfer. Otherwise, one may have to rely on another person lift them in an awkward position.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,310 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disabled passenger

Pauline W

If you have booked your holiday through a tour operator they will advise the airline of your requirements.

I need airport assistance to the aircraft steps and normally the airline has reserved me a seat in one of the first few rows. However, being a cynic I would also contact the airline a few days before you travel to ensure they have your details and also make sure your booking invoice shows you need special assistance.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disabled passenger

I have done this a few times with my disabled mother, who has to be boarded in a chair. Some airlines give a window seat and board the passnger first, then at the destination last off. I have also been on BA booked with Kuoni so no online checkin, on some flights she was boarded last with an aisle seat and we were not seated together,although the tickets were linked! If this would be an issue I suggest you call the airline to make sure you are with your partner.

I was informed that most aircraft in EU have an onboard wheelchair(narrow,no arms) to get passengers to the toilets

8. Re: Disabled passenger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2013, 10:19