We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air France or US Airways?

Spring Hill, Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Air France or US Airways?

I'm considering a trip to Paris in May and am trying to decide which airfare to book. I have two options: either Air France (with the domestic leg on Delta) or US Airways. USAir is about $20 less, so price-wise there's little difference.

I'd be traveling Economy, solo, and mostly want something as roomy as possible. I don't lean my seat back, but can feel closed in if the person in front of me does so. And for the long leg, I'd like a personal TV in case I get tired of reading. The domestic portion doesn't matter as much to me, since those are relatively short flights.

The US Airways transatlantic flights are on an A330-200 one way and 767 for the return flight. I see on SeatGuru that the 767 has shared TVs, which doesn't thrill me, but I can deal if I have to.

The Air France transatlantic flights are on either a Boeing 777-200, 747-400 or one of the AIrbuses (the Air France site is down right now so I can't go back and check the exact number. All I can find on the other airfare sites are the two Boeings). SeatGuru shows two different types of 747-400, one with shared TV and one with peronsal TVs. I'm not sure how to tell which one my flight would be,, though it looks like maybe it's the upper deck that has personal screens while the lower deck has shared? (Also it looks like upper deck has slightly wider seats, which is nice.)

Normally, I'd go with Air France because I've read it's a nice airline, but I have a frequent flyer account with US Airways. I don't have enough miles to get anywhere right now, but a trip to Paris would add some. So is there a big enough difference between the two airlines to give up the miles and switch to AF? There's also flights on American Airlines about the same as US Air, but I figure if I'm going to fly one of those two, better to fly the one I get miles on!

I don't think I've flown either of these internationally before. My last trip to Paris was on Continental, the first one was in 1994, so I can't remember what we flew, and my trip to Egypt was mostly on Alitalia. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Air France or US Airways?

I have a friend that goes to Europe often and she swears by the brand Lipault. It's French luggage in various sizes but I know she says their carryon is the one that meets most European airlines requirements. I've seen some from time to time at Marshalls or Ross and you might want to look at their web then google -- maybe you can find one marked down online.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Air France or US Airways?

You made the right choice going with AF. The last 3 years I have been on the LAX-CDG flight 6 times and I have had my standard 22" carry-on and never had it questioned or measured and will be taking it again, when I go to Paris in May.

Spring Hill, Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Air France or US Airways?

So AF isn't as strict about carry on size? That's good to know, though I think I'd be afraid to take one outside their listed size, because with my luck, I'd get the one person who decided to be a stickler at the gate. :/

Kittycatwoman, thanks for the tip. I'll see of I can find any of that brand. I looked online, but most of their bags are 22". The AF site list 55cm (21.65") as the max length. It's a minor difference, but I'm paranoid after past experience with picky airport personnel, you know?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Air France or US Airways?

Allison, I just checked the Lipault website. Although they show their small bags as 22" , when you look at the actual measurements, they show 21.65". I think the difference is simply the conversion of cm to inches and vice versa. Best way to confirm is to call Air France and ask them what size is allowable in inches. The difference is so slight, I wouldn't worry. Now you got me thinking that I might buy a Lipault piece for my trip -- or maybe I'll wait until I get to Paris!

Spring Hill, Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Air France or US Airways?

Funny that they'd round up like that. Though the width on their site is 14.2" (similar to most US carry-ons), which convert to about 36.1cm, yet AF's hand baggage page says it must be within 55cm x 35cm x 25cm. So... too wide? I'm probably making this way too hard on myself. I'm sure I could get away with 22"x14"x10" if I had to: all those measurements are within a centimeter of their listed size. No one can possibly be THAT picky!

I did find a nice rolling bag today that was well within the limits and still looked roomy enough. Only problem was, it was Liz Claibourne and cost $200! A little beyond my baggage budget, sadly. Which sadly rules out Lipault, too, it seems. Too bad, I really like the purple one. (My favorite color.)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Air France or US Airways?

Glad you found a bag you like but yikes, that's expensive for a small bag. But now you are set, or at least will be once you find your apartment. Bon voyage!

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Air France or US Airways?

Allison, are you close to a Ross or a Burlington? Mine is a Claibourne that I bought at my local Burlington for about $70 a little over 3 years ago, and it has held up very well. It is a 4-wheel spinner.

Spring Hill, Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Air France or US Airways?

Arcadian, I do,have a Ross here. I may go check them out tomorrow. I found some online at Belk as well that could work with the Valentine's Day sale they're having.

Also, I found on AF's site that as long as the 3 dimensions add up to 45 inches or less, it'll be allowed. So that gives me more options. Much relief! Thanks, everyone!

Kalamazoo
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Air France or US Airways?

I will never fly Air France again. They have lost my luggage twice and the first time was a non-stop flight from O'Hare where I'd arrived 3 hours before my flight. I did not receive my luggage for 3 days even though they promised it to me everyday...figured that they wanted me to believe that it was on its way so I wouldn't go out and buy a lot of personal items. I was only in Paris for 6 days with no luggage for 3 of them. Found out on my return that AF is known for losing luggage. After complaining to company CEOs and Presidents and VPs in France and the US, AF sent me 2 $200 vouchers for future travel. My boyfriend and I decided to give them another try and flew to Barcelona through Paris on AF. My luggage arrived; however, on my return trip home, there was a messenger waiting for me when getting off the flight. Luggage lost again! We decided that would be our last flight on AF. Since then, I've flown Delta and KLM. If I have the choice, I prefer KLM. Great service and Amsterdam is a far better airport than CDG.

Spring Hill, Florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Air France or US Airways?

Patricia, thanks for the warning. I wasn't going to check anything, anyway, because I'm always afraid it'll get lost. I'll be extra careful now to ensure my bag is within the carry-on limit!