We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines leg room

birmingham
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
United Airlines leg room

I am flying from London to San Francisco in august with united airlines. Are they a reasonable airline and is the leg room reasonable in economy? I would fly economy plus but not sure I can do this as kuoni said the only upgrade would be to business.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines leg room

you can go to www.seatguru.com and load in your flight and see the seat pitch for you exact flight.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines leg room

You can buy an "upgrade" to Economy Plus at any time; actually it's not really a an upgrade in the sense of a cabin class so it's fairly cheap.

E+ has about 35-36" seat pitch, which is very nice indeed. Regular economy is only 31" (which is the same as regular Y on Lufthansa and Virgin). And yes, you DO notice the difference.

Service wise, it's pretty standard for US carriers. You pay for alcohol, and food is nothing to write home about. If you're on a 777 you'll have in seat video with 8 channels of continuous loop. If it's the 747 it will be overhead TV only (though they are planning to wifi stream video to passengers' own devices some time in the future).

One thing I will point out. US is my main carrier, and I've noticed a distinct IMPROVEMENT in their flight attendant service in the last 4-6 months, on all the flights I've taken since September last year.

Edited: 15 January 2012, 01:42
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines leg room

^^^^ Dang that edit! ... That should say ...UA .... is my main carrier, and I've noticed a distinct IMPROVEMENT in their flight attendant service

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines leg room

I flew a 14 hr leg from IAH to NRT in a 31" pitch seat, and it was no fun. The following 4 hr flight out of NRT with 35" pitch seats made me feel like I was in first class. If you can upgrade... do it, IMHO

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,897 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines leg room

"kuoni said the only upgrade would be to business."

If you're flying on UA metal then you have the option to upgrade to Economy plus which has a few extra inches of legroom than a standard economy seat. I'm surprised Kuoni haven't mentioned this to you?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines leg room

Yes, I like the flight crews on international flights out of SFO. You can purchase a few extra inches of leg room in economy plus at any time for a reasonable price. Take a nonstop flight. There are two. The one leaving SFO near noon and London near 10:30 are currently scheduled to be served by an older version of the 777 (2-5-2 seating in economy) with incredible extra leg room in 9 economy plus seats located in rows 17 and 21 (21 H and J). Check seatguru.com. for guidance on leg room. If you have 20,000 United miles or extra cash, consider a mileage upgrade, or buy-up upgrade to business class (sometimes offered on internet after purchase of an economy ticket for about $900), on the outbound night time flight. If you upgrade to business class, take the other nonstop flight that has the new lie flat seats in business class.

7. Re: United Airlines leg room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:21