We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

Toronto, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

Hi Everyone,

I have just booked a cruise sailing out of San Juan. I'm about to book my flight, leaving from Toronto with a layover in Miami then onto San Juan. The lay over in Miami is 1hr 25mins. Is that enough time in between flights?

Thank you!

Janis

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

Not enough information but probably not, on two counts.

First, it *might* be long enough if your plane is on time arriving, but what if it's not?

Second, what are the consequences of you missing the connection? Do you miss your cruise? are you arriving the same day, or day before? Are there later flights that day, or is this the last one?

Edited: 14 January 2012, 19:11
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

You'll pre-clear US customs and immigration in Toronto, so that helps. But flight delays can happen (especially in winter) so as Joe says you need to consider how badly off you'd be if you ended up missing the second flight.

Toronto, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

Thanks for the tip. Our cruise leaves Sunday at 10PM, we are planning to arrive the day before just to be safe and to not feel rushed the day of the cruise. It looks like there is 2 more flights leaving that day, one direct to sju and another with a stop in SDQ.

But if our cruise leaves at 10pm would we be safe leaving the day of? Of course taking the earliest flight possible.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

Miami has great trolly cart drivers that can get you around quickly if needed,just sayin..

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

Depending on the time of year your cruise runs, Air Canada has a direct flight from YYZ to SJU that leaves Sunday morning and arrives early afternoon around 2:30, and I like to take direct flights when possible.

Without a connecting flight to make, and still scheduled to arrive a good 7 hours before your cruise departs (you say 10PM is the cruise time, but I don't know what your check-in cutoff time is--that could still be considerably earlier, but you didn't say), 7 hours is a big buffer. Even if your flight is delayed, you've got several hours for the airline to work out a fix for a delay. Sure, if a massive snowstorm closes the airport, you'll be in trouble, but that's pretty rare at YYZ--they generally know how to handle snow. Anything is possible, but I wouldn't call it probable.

If you're really concerned and want to arrive the day before, AC has 2 direct flights on Saturdays (again, depends on the time of year).

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

But if our cruise leaves at 10pm would we be safe leaving the day of?

========

It depends on your definition of "safe" :-)

I recall someone posting here with a rant because their flight had been delayed by 5 hours (including 3 or 4 sat waiting on the plane whilst they tried to fix it) before it was then cancelled, that long delay mean they couldn't get the next flight after theirs (because they were stranded on their plane) , which meant they were just too late into Miami, and missed their ship and then had to spend a ton of money getting to the next port it called at.

An extreme case, but perhaps a good reason for spending whatever the price of an overnight hotel is. In which case you might as well go for the short connection, since you have two flights plus another day as contingency.

Though if as you seem to say there is a direct on the day you want to fly, the day before the cruise, why arent you going for that instead ? Cost?

Edited: 16 January 2012, 11:01
Toronto, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

Thanks for your tips, we decided to go ahead and book the flight leaving the day of with the short connection time. I feel safer arriving the day before :) I don't want to be the next person to rant about delayed flights hehe.

We didn't book directly because yes the cost was way too much. I've been searching forever trying to find a cheaper direct flight. But leaving from Toronto, Canada is very costly.

Now next question, anyone have any tips on what to do in San Juan? I've looked into a bunch of ideas. If anyone has experienced San Juan that'd be great. We're going to be staying near the port (I'm thinking the Sheraton that's right across the street)

Thanks again

Toronto, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

****Miami has great trolly cart drivers that can get you around quickly if needed,just sayin. ******

Paulette, where can I find these trolley carts?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

I think you made a good choice. As for what to do with your day in San Juan, the folks on the San Juan forum will be able to offer better help: tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g147320-i72-San_Jua… .

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,305 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan

Paulette, where can I find these trolley carts?

I think they're only really used by the airlines for certain kinds of passengers. I've taken advantage of them a few times because I was flying AA in first class and using their Flagship Lounge before they closed it. They were available on a request basis at the lounge. If everyone could use them then the place would be crawling with them and that certainly isn't the case.