We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

Australia
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

As we were boarding our plane in Oahu to return home to Australia a Hawaiin Airline staff member approached me and very abruptly told us that the aircraft was small and that i needed to check my carry on. i told her there were breakables in my bag so she said well your daughter will need to check her bag. I explained it was carry on and that my daughter needed things in her bag for the flight as i suspect most people would. She then got quite snappy and threw a tag at me saying some one in your party needs to check their carry on. We then needed to move to one side and rearrange things in our bags and eventually were able to check our sons bag.

Now had she approached us nicely and asked if it would be possible for us to check one of our bags we probably would have done so without compliant but her approach was less than friendly or polite.

To top it off, when we got on the plane and everyone was seated the baggage compartment above us was nearly empty.

None of our bags were oversized or overweight.

Apart from this incident we were very happy with Hawaiian Airlines.

1. Re: Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 January 2012, 16:35
Australia
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

After spending time in Hawaii with polite friendly people it is hard to tolerate rude..........

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

How about ... your carry ons were too large, the gate attendant pointed this out and enforced the rules. Because you'd overpacked your carry ons with "breakables" you thought those rules wouldn't apply to you ... but they do.

You didn't get what you wanted (ie you lost the argument) and so had to (embarrassingly) repack your bags to conform to the rules.

So now you're upset, and so everyone that told you what you didn't want to hear was "rude".

When they "threw" that tag at you, was it a googly, or a "flipper"?

Edited: 11 January 2012, 06:52
Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

To top it off, when we got on the plane and everyone was seated the baggage compartment above us was nearly empty.

Probably because they rightly enforced the rules.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

bakermob isn't the only person to have experienced something like this.

A couple of years ago when I boarded a US flight in PHX there was a ground agent at the door of the plane telling every pax 'you'll have to check that, there isn't any room in the lockers'; this with about 30 people to board.

My handbaggage was small enough so that it would have fit under the seat if there had been no room in the overhead locker, and I said so. The response was 'no, threre isn't any room'.

I said that if there was no room for the bag I would be happy to check it and appreciated the agent's offer (erm, not really, but ...). At my seat I found an empty overhead locker with room for my bag and more. The person who sat next to me and gave up her bag at the door of the plane was unhappy that she had done so when there was room on board.

I am never pleased to see pax board with more hand baggage than is allowed, and often disappointed that cabin crew don't encourage more use of under seat storage.

But to have an arbitrary decision made when not necessary isn't the best way forward either.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,466 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

Hi,

To me, there's two somewhat separate issues here.. First is HA's policy about carry-on's... which it does appear that the OP didn't have an issue complying with at some point.

and second is the manner in which that interaction took place..

Could be have truly been one of simple staff rudeness? Absolutely it can.. Could be a case of "shared" interaction? Yes, also a possibility.. and to be fair it could also be a case of "didn't get what I wanted therefore...." as well..

We just don't know as we'd need to see the entire two-way interactions..

That said, I do believe that there really is never an excuse for staff rudeness.. but I would note that to me "rude" is distinctly different from and is not the same as " I didn't get what I wanted/my way, therefor they are rude"..

If the staff member can't work with that passenger, then they excuse themselves and need to ask a colleague to take over. It's just not acceptable to be rude.

Travel Safe.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,818 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

Sometimes I feel people are being too sensitive. So the FA weren't as polite as you'd hoped for. Is it really such a big deal that the experience needs to be recounted in here? Do people go on forums and tell about it every time they've come across a grumpy busdriver or shop assistant?

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

Being polite does not cost anything Lex

Perhaps the employee was having a bad day, we all have them, and perhaps the OP was behaving in an unreasonable manner - we were not there and we do not know.

However, these forums are places not only to post travel tips, they have evolved into places to vent ones annoyance

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,818 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

Of course it doesn't but my point wasn't about that at all anyway.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rude staff member at Hawaiian Airline gate

Check my original post. Our hand luggage was the correct size and weight as specified by the airline. We actually had less than we were allowed. I am happy to be flexible if approached politely. I have never been asked to check hand luggage before and was not aware this could happen. Politeness could have alleviated the stress of having to check carefully thought out hand luggage. Next time we will stuff medication, tampons, sanitary pads, spare nickers, hand sanitizer and other such required items into our small handbags instead of our allowed carry on.