We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

Hi all,

I'll be flying from Melb to Paris, and return from Rome to Melb. I'm just wondering if its worth paying extra for PE class? For Economy class, it'll either be Singapore Airlines or Emirates. For PE, it'll be AirFrance and Qantas codeshare. The difference in price is around $2500AUD.

Anyone has flown on these flights? or personal experiences with economy and PE with these airlines?

Thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

Definitely worth flying PE - as long as the extra cost doesn't present too much of a burden. Have flown PE on Qantas (Australia to London ret.) and loved it. Well worth the extra. Can't speak for the other airlines, but Qantas PE is great.

Also take a look at some of the mixed fares. Emirates, Qatar and Etihad usually have these - where you can fly business from Australia to their hub (Emirates = Dubai / Qatar - Doha / Etihad = Abu Dhabi) and then change to economy for the last 6 or 7 hours into their European destination. You would then do this in reverse on your return - economy out of Europe and then business from the hub to Australia.

You'd have to check with the airlines if you can do this with an open-jaw itinerary, as yours seems to be (into one European city and out of another). Those I have seen require you to enter and depart through the same European airport.

Even if you have to fly into and out of Rome to secure the mixed fare, you could probably pick up a cheap connection on a low cost carrier just to get you over to Pairs for the start of your holiday.

But, depending on when you'd be flying, these fares compare pretty favourably with PE. And you get to lie down and, hopefully, sleep during the longest part of the journey.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 03:48
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

This question comes up a lot and the answer is always the same. It's your call.

Those who fly premium economy think its worth it, those who don't think it isn't.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

Flying in Premium Economy gives you extra leg room (42" inches instead of the standard 32-34" in Economy) and better recline (8" instead of 6" in economy), a better meal, priority check-in (With Qantas) - If you think this is worth the extra 2500, go for it!!

Personally I wouldn't pay a $2500 premium for Premium Economy. If you choose to fly Singapore Airlines and want extra leg room, pay $50 AUD a sector to secure a exit row seat with infinite leg room and save yourself $2300.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

Thanks heaps for your information everyone. i might check out the mixed class fares for the price differences.

Or just stick to economy and treat myself with the savings when in Europe! :D

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

$2500 would probably buy you a night in a suite at the George V in Paris to recover from the arduous journey in Economy :-)

As others have said - your priorities, your call.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

evamelb,

that cracked me up! haha. but its pretty true though. that savings could do alot in rewarding yourself at the destination. :D

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

pay for pe.........australia to europe is a long journey...why feel like c rap when you get there , when u can pay a bit more and feel at least a bit more relaxed. Just my humble opinion:)

Reading
Level Contributor
287 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

Another thought, depending how much time pressure you are under, would be to break the journey with a six or 12-hour block in the transit hotel inside Singapore airport (or at other connecting points if they have similar things). You don't pass through immigration.

It adds to the journey time but the chance to sleep, shower, swim even, and change clothes I suspect means you would come out of it much more refreshed than flying PE. Way cheaper than the difference between economy and PE, too. By the time you've eaten it might cost a couple of hundred dollars rather than the 2,500.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

Singapore Airlines and Emirates offer some of the best Economy class products, whereas Qantas, hmm... service is variable (maybe they are nicer to the people who pay more). $2500 is a lot of money to pay... see about those mixed fares, but I would spend more on nice accommodation and break up my journey in a great city like Singapore if you have the time...

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne to Europe- Economy or PE class?

check out p.e. on air asia. not that i'm recommending them in any way - but if cost is a factor, they might be worth looking at. pe doesn't bring much 'luxury', but it does have flat beds.

pam