We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Upper Class

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Upper Class

Has anyone else experienced problems with Virgin's Upper Class? I recently flew from JFK to Heathrow. Shortly after take off I found the seat would not recline and I informed a crew member who said they knew my seat did not function. Eventually they managed to manually crank my seat to the flat position but I spent two hours sat crossed legged on the flat seat watching TV until I decided to try and get some sleep (the flight was full and so no other seats available). Having spent a small fortune to fly Upper Class (I paid for the flight myself), I was extremely unhappy that Virgin knew there was a problem with seat but chose to wait until I complained. When I complained to Virgin they offered me a few thousand air miles which was worth pretty much nothing.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,991 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Upper Class

That's not good at all. I'd follow up and seek more compensation roughly equivalent in value to a one way UC flight. I've read on here people have got a better response by contacting Steve Ridgway's office.

Edited: 23 December 2011, 14:16
Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Upper Class

Your problem with the seats reflects a general reduction in standards at Virgin Atlantic. Their fleet desperately needs updating, particularly at Gatwick and Manchester.

Branson has been trying to sell his 51% in Virgin Atlantic for the past two years (without success) and the lack of investment in the meantime shows. So much for his 'Rockstar Service'. They are being left behind by BA, even more so since BMI's takeover which will give BA 55 additional slots at Heathrow.

Edited: 23 December 2011, 19:47
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,369 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Upper Class

It's beyond me why anyone would book Virgin Upper Class when they are MUCH better and equally priced products around with competitors... it's more like Virgin No-Class.

South West UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Upper Class

I've flown both Upper Class and Club World in the last 5 years - If I'm honest, on a good day there is little between them (IMO) T5 Is a nicer terminal but the T3 VS Clubhouse is still better than the B.A lounge.

Seats wise, well it's down to personal pref - I like the features of both, but the B.A seats just have the edge - About time VS did a refurb of the design. As far as VS is concerned, the 747 the cabin space is better than the 346

All in all seems like you were unlucky, certainly there is no excuse for the seat not reclining properly

JB

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,991 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Upper Class

I've flown both Upper Class and Club World in the last 5 years

------

The last 5yrs, eh? That's a lifetime in airline product terms! Back then VS standards were a lot higher than now, and BA have introduced a new seat.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Upper Class

Having travelled many times with both BA and Virgin, there is little to choose between the flat beds of both (when they work). But I do agree the Virgin lounge at T3 is superior to the BA lounge. Delta now have a decent flat bed in their Business Elite, but I can't think who else on the transatlantic route are MUCH better than Virgin, certainly not Continental or American Airlines.

South West UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Upper Class

The last 5yrs, eh? That's a lifetime in airline product terms! Back then VS standards were a lot higher than now, and BA have introduced a new seat.

-----------

OK, just to clarify dates......

BA - Club World most recently April 2011

VS - Upper Class - Sept 2011

Prior to that, flew both back in 2007 & 2008

Recent enough for you OP2002?

JB

Edited: 25 December 2011, 16:20
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Upper Class

"They are being left behind by BA, even more so since BMI's takeover which will give BA 55 additional slots at Heathrow."

Just to remind everybody this takeover still requires regulatory approval,which is by no means certain.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Upper Class

I think you had a bad experience, a malfunctioning seat isn't a consistent reason not to fly an airline. I've had one on most airlines, even on brand new hardware such as the 380.

VS are due for a cabin refresh with new UC seat offering next year. This will include the MAN/LGW fleet.

There isn't anyone else of cross 'the pond' with right now. The clubhouse is a reason in itself.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Upper Class

Check out Airline Quality/ Virgin Atlantic for some up to date reviews. It does not make good reading.