We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switching airline frequent flier progams?

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
86 reviews
Save Topic
Switching airline frequent flier progams?

Here's the deal. I am a US Airways Divident Miles account holder. In the past few years I've been able to reach the "Silver" level consistently, but this year I'll be a bit short of the mark. I stated with US Air because they flew out of Colorado Springs and had a wide variety of destinations (thru Phoenix). US Air, however, doesn't fly out of the Springs any more, so it's not my primary airline of choice anymore. Now I travel United Airlines more often. Here's the question: since I'll be losing my sivler status anyway, is it worth it for me to start a new frequent flier program with United? Both (US Air and United) are in the same "Star Alliance" network. I still have about 18K miles w/ US Air.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switching airline frequent flier progams?

You could contact United's frequent flyer call desk , sometimes airlines will "status match", eg if you can prove you are a particular status with one airline, they will immediately give you a higher status than if you had just joined, and as long as you fly some qualifying number of flights with them, you will retain that.

Another thing you can do is ask this same question on the United forum in the flyertalk web site.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Switching airline frequent flier progams?

I don't believe airlines will status match within their alliance. Bad for partnerships to steal each other's customers.

You can't do much with 18K miles in your bank. It would be better to build that to the minimum award level (probably 25K) rather than to orphan them by switching now. Just credit the mileage from your United flights to your US air account. When you hit the 25K, take another look and see which program would suit you best and make the switch then.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switching airline frequent flier progams?

Tev is right. No match within the alliance. You can credit your UA flights this year to your US account to make Silver then start over at the beginning of the year with UA. Your US status will still be recognized by United.

Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switching airline frequent flier progams?

You might just be out of luck. I don't mean that to sound ugly, but the new United program has a lot of their mid tier flyers screaming bloody murder. It does have some new twists. Is Alaska or Frontier viable for you if you don't anticipate much more than your silver mileage you flew at US air ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switching airline frequent flier progams?

If your flying is still going to be within Star Alliance then just stick with creditting to the US Airways account.

uk
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switching airline frequent flier progams?

I agree with the others, stick with USand just credit all of your *A miles to this account.

Perks with Silver status are limited and will be recognised with all airlines.

7. Re: Switching airline frequent flier progams?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 01:18