We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

layover in Rome

Aurora, Il
Level Contributor
141 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
layover in Rome

Hi we are flying from CHICAGO TO DUBROVNIK with 6 hours layover

in Rome Should we get out of the airport or just stay in for 6 hours

thank you very much for all your help

1. Re: layover in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 September 2011, 07:35
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,535 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: layover in Rome

What did you have in mind? First, no matter what, I wouldn't plan or pay ahead for an excursion; because you never know. You're inbound flight might be late, customs and airport security, rechecking bags, etc. You might start with 6 hours and end up with 3. You will not make it into Rome, but there is a spot not too far away from the airport called Ostia, that might work. Probably best to check with the local Rome forum board here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187791-i22-Rome_L…

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: layover in Rome

I would allow 1hr each for trip back and to, so that knocks 2 hrs off so you are left with 4 hours. You could contact a car service such as Rome cabs to pick you up at the airport and give you a tour and take you back, expensive but you would be in safe hands

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: layover in Rome

I totally disagree about leaving FCO-I saw the lines to clear transit pax and they were gruesome!! We came off a DL flight and had to squeeze behind hordes of pax trying to get to their connections just to get to passport control. Consider you will require 2 hours MINIMUM to come back thru security. Find a nice lounge and pay the fee.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: layover in Rome

Hey mariolka;) I think it all depends on whether those 6 hours are inclusive..or not inclusive..of all the fomalities involved! As mentioned, your flight arrival time if timely..going through passport control..assuming you'll be retreiving luggage and rechecking in?! Going through formalities on re checking in for DBV flight including showing up in advance..All this can easily take up half your time..possibly more! I've had similar time spreads traveling through Rome..personally, don't mind checking out DF..sitting over a cappuchino..glass of wine..some people watching..time flies..it's a fun airport! Have a great trip..and EnjoY!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: layover in Rome

what's DF, please?

Aurora, Il
Level Contributor
141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: layover in Rome

thank you i think i will stay at the airport and just relax and wait for my conection to Dubrovnik After all i will be on vacation

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: layover in Rome

You're right..it's a vacation after all;-) I think you made a good call!

DF is duty free, kyshel..one of my fave 'hanging around airport' passtimes;-) Keep enjoyin' all!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: layover in Rome

<Laughing at myself> thinking you're having a cappucino and watching (as in checking out) DF's (like Darling Frenchmen or some sort of chatspeak junk!)

I avoid both like the plague!

Edited: 16 September 2011, 21:15
10. Re: layover in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 02:18