We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shortest flight times from US to Europe

delaware
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Shortest flight times from US to Europe

We're trying to plan a girls' weekend in April with all of us coming from different places in Northeast US and Chicago and one from Spain. Any advice on what is the easiest place to get to considering flight times? Preferably nonstops, but no super long layovers?

Thanks!

uk
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shortest flight times from US to Europe

Easiest place will be one one the major European hubs which lots of US based carriers will service along with the national airlines of the country in question.

London is probably the European city with the most flights from the US followed closely by Paris and Frankfurt/Munich.

I imagine there are several direct options to the above from all major East Coast hubs.

Edited: 12 September 2011, 22:33
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,768 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shortest flight times from US to Europe

Amsterdam would be another option.

uk
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shortest flight times from US to Europe

Oh yes, forgot good old Schiphol.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shortest flight times from US to Europe

As most of you are coming from the NorthEast, I would suggest departing from NYC to London, Paris or maybe Brussels. London and Paris are both great cities to visit with plenty of options and things to do. Brussels, is only about a 2 hour train ride to/from Paris or 2 1/2 to 3 hours to/from Amsterdam or London. It makes for a good alternative airport if flights to the other two are full.

Depending on your preferences and what it is you're going for (shopping, partying, etc), you might also want to look into going to Dublin or Amsterdam.

I would suggest making it at least a 3 day trip (4 would be better). Due to the time zone difference, a regular 2 day weekend trip doesn't leave you much time to enjoy yourself.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shortest flight times from US to Europe

Your best bet is Reykjavik. Wonderful, clean, friendly "city", full of spas, fresh air, and great food.

Lots of cultural references, too, if you are not into shopping and pampering...

Scenery is like nothing else in Europe. Enjoy

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,571 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shortest flight times from US to Europe

I love Barcelona and there are lots of non stops there!!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shortest flight times from US to Europe

I really need to point out Copenhagen. You'll find direct flights from both Chicago and New York - and Spain of cause. And if you are only going for one weekend, I would also consider how much time you'll need to spend from the airport to city center/destination. From the airport in Copenhagen you can get to the city center in 14 minutes using the metro.

With that said Reykjavik as suggested is also great destination! So is Amsterdam, Paris, London lol ;) I guess I wouldn't suggest Barcelona, if one of the girls are from Spain (thinking that she needs t o get out of country as well).

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shortest flight times from US to Europe

Eastbound flights from the east coast to Dublin are also bang-bang.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,787 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shortest flight times from US to Europe

"Your best bet is Reykjavik. Wonderful, clean, friendly "city", full of spas, fresh air, and great food"

I chuckled when I saw this as I had forgotten about Europe stretching that far east. Unfortunately, the airport as well as Reykjavik is still on the North American plate. :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,590 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shortest flight times from US to Europe

I was going to mention Iceland as well but peterscot got there first.

April will see the days lengthening noticeably - check sunrise and sunset times at www.timeanddate.com Book one of Arni's bigger flats at www.roomwithaview.is where some of the flats have access to a Jacuzzi in the building. A fab alternate to that is the huge outdoors hotpot at Laugardalur public pool, a short bus ride from the city centre.

KEF may be on the North American plate but the Mid Atlantic Ridge passes through ƥhingvellir where you can see evidence of the NoAm plate heading away from the Eurasian plate.