We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

los angeles
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

I am flying to London at Christmas and have been watching the prices. Virgin Atlantic seems the most reasonable but when flying with them last spring, I found I had to pay something like $30 extra to get a decent seat in economy. Also there was a one 50 lb bag limit. Taking into consideration bag/weight limits and add on costs for food or entertainment etc,, I'd appreciate any feedback on this topic. The prices between Virgin and British Airways and United seem pretty competitive. Thank you!

uk
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

Not sure what you mean by having to pay $30 for an decent EC seat.

All three airlines allow a single check in bag for free.

Food is included TA on all three, alcohol is at additional cost on UA but included on BA and Virgin.

All three carriers provide IFE for free via seat back TVs on this route.

Virgin has been getting very poor reviews recently. BA would be my first choice but the UA EC plus is a good product with extra leg room for just a little extra cost.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,241 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

You might check the price for Air New Zealand. They're usually quite competitive, and offer excellent service.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

You need not pay to book a seat with BA, especially if you plan to fly in World Traveller. Very few seats in that cabin will be chosen before OLCI (on line check in) opens, so you will have a good selection of seats from which to choose at that time.

BA would certainly be my first choice of the three you mention. Two friends have flown NZ from LHR to LAX and back again, and both have said they'd certainly fly with that airline before VS or a NoAm based carrier.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,944 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

I would highly recommend British Airways as well. More superior service and better on-board product. Additionally, BA has a greater luggage allowance. While most carriers will allow you 1 bag at 23kg/51lbs, BA also allows you 23kgs/51lbs of hand luggage while Virgin Atlantic only offers 6kgs/13lbs... anything over that must be paid for and checked in and they do check the weight's of passengers bags!

Regards

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

BA would be my choice. Never flown Air NZ, but have heard only good things about them.

los angeles
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I have travelled on all of the carriers mentioned and had no really bad experiences. The only thing with VA is that I couldn't choose my seat when booking the ticket and the seat I was assigned when I could do online check-in was really bad. They will sell an upgrade for around $30 so they obviously hold back some good seats so they can do this. I guess I'll go with BA especially since the luggage allowances are better. Thanks again for responding - Trip Advisor is really essential for stress free travel, isn't it?!

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

You have travelled on all the carriers mentioned?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

In economy, Air New Zealand. Their standard economy pitch is 34" versus the others which are 31". On United you can get Economy Plus for a small supplement, probably $80 each way or therebaouts. That'll buy you another 5" pitch.

los angeles
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

Yes and the experiences were good for the most part. I do find overseas luggage allowances are tight, so finding that BA allows a larger carry on would be a boon, especially at Christmas. I liked Air New Zealand very much but they are usually the highest priced fare by over $100 so that is a consideration.

VA had great entertainment and the food was poor going to London when I travelled in May of this year, but coming back home it was very good. The food on AZ was great if my memory serves me. I see some other posts that give specifics on seat pitch which is very valuable so I'll look into that too.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX to London Route - Preferred Carriers

Air NZ or BA would be my choice - they don't get much pickier than me!

Virgin Atlantic has been downgraded due to poor service. Why would any sane person fly United???

Edited: 09 September 2011, 05:06