We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Flying Blue Air miles

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Spending Flying Blue Air miles

What is the best way to spend KLM / Air France Miles? I have 380k miles but have never found a flight that makes sense once the taxes have been added. I have looked at hotels and transferring them but with no success

uk
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Flying Blue Air miles

I'm not familar with the AF programme but my experience is that there are two ways to spend miles effectively:

1) A short notice, short haul ticket where the fare base is high compared to the taxes, for example I had to fly from Manchester to Copenhagen at very short notice recently, SAS wanted over £700 for a return, I used miles and paid £68 in taxes and fees.

2) Upgrades from a paid for EC ticket to BC or PE.

Quite often if your booking a long way out discounted fares can be less than the taxes and charges which are associated with 'free' tickets.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,867 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending Flying Blue Air miles

Best thing you can do is to pick a destination you want to go to and use your miles to fly business but be prepared to pay the taxes and fees. Also look out for special half price miles deals on the web site.

For instance you can fly BC to J'burg from CDG for € 387.95 euros round trip and 60k miles.

A paid BC ticket will cost minimum 3k euros plus.

You can look at all the spending possibilities here . For instance you can get a weekend car rental from Avis for 30k miles and that is worth around a hundred GBP or so.

klm.com/travel/…index.htm

Flying Blue is one of the worst FF programmes out there so If I were you I would just spend the miles and not worry about it.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending Flying Blue Air miles

I use them for flights around Europe esp. oneways. To upgrade you need to buy such an expensive ticket it becomes pointless. If you want to fly longhaul in biz it maybe cheaper to book a flight to AMS or CDG and then a seperate ticket for the long sector,thus avoiding the high UK departure tax

4. Re: Spending Flying Blue Air miles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 19:16