We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
167 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

We`re thinking of taking advantage of the current Virgin offers on Upper Class (mid way between Business and First ? ) fares to Sydney.

One of the things that`s putting us off is my wife and I are travelling as a couple and the Upper Class seats / seating layout doesn`t seem right for couples travelling together. For example you can`t lower the privacy screens round your seat, so effectively you`d be sitting on your own for 4 long haul flights, even eating alone !

Has anyone else had any experiences of this and what did they think ?

Surely a large percentage of travellers, certainly leisure travellers, would be couples, so why did Virgin want a seat layout which is is so unsuitable for them ? That said, I know a few couples who wouldn`t mind too much being out of the way of their wife (or hubby) for 4 long haul flights, but we`re not one of them. Not yet anyway !

Also, what`s the view like out of the window when your seat is aligned at 45 degrees to it ? ! ?

Edited: 31 August 2011, 10:06
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
17,922 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

I agree that the seat configuration is not ideal for couples - I assume that Virgin expected most passengers to be single business travellers.

This was one of the reasons I decided on another carrier when choosing my next long haul flights - I was also concerned about the self serve bar area and how busy/noisy this might become during the flight

TomC

uk
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

Firstly as you say a lot of leisure travellers are couples but Virgin upper class is also known as business class for a reason in terms of passenger dempgraphic. This type of pod seat is becoming increasingly popular.

The Virgin upper class seats are molded pods and yes - there is no privacy screen you can lower so as you say you are effectively sitting on your own. There is however a foot stool which can also double as a buddy seat and you can dine together therefore (one person sits on the seat the other on the foot stool).

In addition you can also sit together at the bar.

As you said the seats look away for the window - the view is just fine, you just have to twist round to see it.

Virgin Upper Class is nice but I wouldn't say it is any better than the BC offering on the likes of BA, Singapore Airlines or Emirates.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

Perhaps one of the reasons there are offers on this class, is the unpopularity of this configuration amongst couples or companions?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

Virgin UC is no where close to being between Business Class & First and I much prefer the Club World product on British Airways. If you are going to Sydney I would suggest that Quantas is the one to go with as food and service beat most airlines with the exception of the likes of Singapore.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
167 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

"The Virgin upper class seats are molded pods and yes - there is no privacy screen you can lower so as you say you are effectively sitting on your own. There is however a foot stool which can also double as a buddy seat and you can dine together therefore (one person sits on the seat the other on the foot stool)".

When you say you can eat together using the Buddy seat, is the table really big enough for two meals (with all the drinks etc) ?

And is the Buddy seat comfortable enough for my wife to sit on for hours ?

Only Joking !

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,289 posts
1,883 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

Not too many Australians would recommend QANTAS unless their company or government organisation is paying.

QANTAS and subsidiary Jetstar's combined share of international ailine traffic in and out of Australia is down to about 26 per cent. It has been steadily declining for years. QANTAS' refusal to serve destinations such as FCO and its snooty, arrogant staff have a fair bit to do with it as does its increasingly elderly fleet (true, its six A380s are an exception).

Does Virgin's Upper Class not just have a privacy screen but also the horrid much loved by some airlines design of a huge armrest between the two seats that prevents a single occupant from occupying both seats?

How I wish airlines would learn from the best train seats around the world that allow single passengers lacking another occupant next to them to stretch out.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
167 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

"As you said the seats look away for the window - the view is just fine, you just have to twist round to see it."

Isn`t that a pain in the neck ?

Unlike the wife.

Which is why I like sitting next to her, usually anyway !

Sheffield
Level Contributor
167 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

"Virgin UC is no where close to being between Business Class & First and I much prefer the Club World product on British Airways. If you are going to Sydney I would suggest that Quantas is the one to go with as food and service beat most airlines with the exception of the likes of Singapore."

How much is it though........

At the moment Virgin are offering Upper Class to Sydney in Jan/Feb (with a stopover each way in Hong Kong) for £3200, which I don`t think is too bad.

Well actually it`s bleedin` expensive (compared to Economy, and the whole of the rest of the holiday), but cattle class is so awful I wouldn`t even consider it long haul. I`d rather stay in the UK.

To be frank when we went 3 years ago we flew China Arilnes and I thought that was OK (apart from having to fly via Bangcock), certainly for the money they charged then, £1800, but they want £2800 now.

And as far as service goes we`ve found there`s usually more difference between different crews of the same airline then between different airlines.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 11:07
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,334 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

Virgin's Upper Class is equivalent to BA's Club World... and BA's Club World is definitely geared towards both couples and business travellers. I just love their forward/backward facing seat combinations..

Moreover, the current sale was initiated by BA, and VS has simply matched the BA fares...

BA's Club World would be my choice to SYD.

Regards

Edited: 31 August 2011, 11:12
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Upper Class, not aimed at couples ? ! ?

Yes the seats are pods, but when I flew to Miami UC, the pair on the starboard side (right) of the craft had all of their meals together, and on my way to Hong Kong I saw a Husband and wife eating together, you just have to ask for it. Sadly, with the design of the pods you may find it difficult to hold hands during the flight.

However, it is my understanding that the cabin layout is aimed more at business travellers than families; otherwise there would be a more “family friendly” facilities like a crèche instead of a bar.