We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX info

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
LAX info

I will have a 5 hour layover at LAX. Would it be a lot of trouble to maybe have a friend in the area to meet me for lunch outside security? Lot of trouble to go thru security again??

I wil be having to go from Term 3 to Term 4 so than may take some of my time. Heard about construction!!!

Thanks for any information

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,085 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX info

It is my understanding that to go from terminal 3 to terminal 4 YOU must go outside and walk or take the bus then go through security again. Depending on which airlines you are using you might have to wait for your luggage at Terminal 3 and then take it with you and recheck it at terminal 4.

Since you have to go outside and go through security again your friend could easily meet you but not sure where?

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX info

Thanks for the info. I'm flying in via Alaska air and out American Air

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX info

5hrs is plenty of time. For my layovers of more than 2hrs at LAX I head to the In N Out Burger on Sepulveda Boulevard. It's right by the airport boundary and has a great view of the incoming aircraft.

The Parking Spot garage is right beside it and you can hop on their free shuttle and tell them you're self parking then you can just walk straight to the In N Out.

flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/545412-how-d…

I'd recommend checking your bag with AA first before heading over to the In N Out.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX info

plenty of places to eat landside at the tom bradley between t3 and t4.

and it's an easy walk between all 3.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX info

Yup, 5 hrs is quite a bit of time to meet a friend for a bite to eat. Just give yourself at least 45 mins to clear security again.

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX info

Thanx to all who replied. Now, just to get my friend up to the airport. I am assuming that I do have to check into security between 3 and 4. Correct??

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX info

Your luggage should be checked through so that won't be a problem.

Yes, you have to go "ground-side" in order to get between T3 and T4 as they are on different sides of the airport. It is a simple walk between the two, but you can take a bus if necessary. You will have to go through security at the new terminal.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX info

Yup, another security check will await you.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX info

If interested, there's an airside transfer between T3 and T4 via the American Eagle station. Bus from T3 to Eagle, change buses, to T4 AA. No security check, just show the bus gate guardians your AA boarding pass (or e-ticket if you're arriving without an AA BP.) The bus departs from around T3 Gate 35 if memory serves, but ask one of the counter people to confirm.

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX info

Think I have the problem solved. Will just have her wait in the cell phone lot and then exit via some less used airline. I will be only having carry on luggage, but with her car that should be no problem. I'lll have a boarding pass when coming back to airport, so should be smooth sailing. Just hope I'm right!!!!