We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Through' ticket advice needed.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
'Through' ticket advice needed.

Hello,

We are due to go to USA on our holidays soon from UK and need advice.

We purchased our flight from UA web site, going from Manchester to Jackson hole, Wyoming via Heathrow and Chicago, on a codeshare.

Have been told to check in with BMI at Manchester for start of journey as they are operating carrier. Everything was booked at same time so i presume this is a 'through' ticket? BTW on 'E' receipt have 2 confirmation numbers, though UA is main one.

Originally i intended taking hand luggage only but, might now take 'hold' instead. Just what exactly does 'through' ticket mean.

Have searched web for answers and am getting lots of conflicting answers - so hope some knowledgable person can help.

Does it mean that when we check our luggage in at Manchester airport we will (literally!!) not see it again until we reach Jackson Hole, or will we still need to collect it at Heathrow and Chicago and re book it in.

We nearly missed a connection once at JFK so decided to only take hand luggage, But, if through ticket means no lugging our bags around airports or waiting at carousels then it might be an option.

Hope this makes sense and appreciate all replies.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Through' ticket advice needed.

I assume you have one ticket, since you booked this on UA webpage, as they codeshare with BMI. Yes, you check in with the first operating carrier.

Don't think you have to check your bags at LHR. But you will have to go through immigration and customs at your first point of entry into the US, which will be ORD. You will have to wait to collect your bags there, go through customs and recheck the. As you exit the customs area, there is a place to recheck your bags and it takes just a minute.

You then pick up your bags again when you arrive in Jackson Hole.

Edited: 09 August 2011, 01:11
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Through' ticket advice needed.

You could have multiple record locators and still be on one ticket. Not all airlines use the same reservation system. The key would be the ticket number. They should either be the same for all legs or (depending on the number of legs) 2 numbers in sequence. Check the 1st 3 digits, they should be the same for all legs and would denote the ticketing airline.

If on one ticket, your luggage should be checked all the way through to Jackson Hole. However, you will need to collect it at O'Hare as that is where you will clear customs and immigration. There will be an airline counter right at the customs hall exit for you to redeposit your baggage. If you purchase any duty free liquids over 3 OZ. be sure to pack them in your checked bags before turning them back over to the airline. You will be changing terminals and will need to reclear security.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Through' ticket advice needed.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought it sounded too good to be true.....

I remember last time we went through Chicago (with hand luggage) seeing a mad scramble of people near the baggage area (after customs) and it seemed like bedlam to me!!

I think I will stick with hand luggage plan as less things to go wrong.

Wouldn't it be nice though if we could drop our luggage off at our 1st point and not have to see it till our last point........

2 weeks and counting USA here we come.......

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,382 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Through' ticket advice needed.

really the chicago 'hand over ' is nothing.

i wouldn't be too phazed about it.

uk
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Through' ticket advice needed.

I transit through the US frequently and really don't find that having to pick up luggage and recheck it adds that much time at all.

Generally by the time you have passed immigration, baggage is waiting for you on the carousel, you then just walk through customs, as you will have to with hand luggage any way and then drop it off at the baggage recheck. I've never had to queue for this - you simply give it to an employee who adds it to the conveyor.

I've always found this much easier than having to fight for over head locker space on internal US flights. I have FF status so get priority boarding but have still found the overhead lockers full and had to gate check my rollaboard.

Rechecking hold luggage is really not that big a deal in my opinion.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Through' ticket advice needed.

You're not going to be picking up your baggage at the normal baggage carousels, but inside the customs hall in terminal 5. Turning your bags back over is a simple and quick procedure taken care of right at the customs hall exit.

Remember that if you do go with hand luggage only,do not purchase any items that do not meet the 3-1-1 rule in the duty free shops. If you are unable to pack them in a checked bag before you turn the bags back over to the airline, it will be confiscated when you reclear security at T! or T2. The fact that it is in a sealed duty free bag does not matter. There's a 99.9% chance TSA will confiscate the item.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Through' ticket advice needed.

We travelled to Mexico a couple of months ago with a plane change in Philadelphia, after passport control we had to pick up our luggage and put it through another carousel scan, this was done very efficiently and even with only 1hr 10 minutes transit time we made it.

This was the first time we had to collect our luggage it was always checked straight through on other trips we were told it was being enforced after the death of Bin Laden and the Pakistan bombings.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Through' ticket advice needed.

Thanks everyone for help and advice.

Need to have a good think. BTW does the 3 oz in small bag apply to checked baggage as well.

thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,382 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Through' ticket advice needed.

" BTW does the 3 oz in small bag apply to checked baggage as well"

no.

u have yet to have answered your bmi to united baggage transfer question in LHR.

i thought i had read somewhere that bmi didn't do baggage transfers.

u need confirmation that they do.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Through' ticket advice needed.

No,checked bag is fine.Just make sure you pack it well so it doesn't break.Or have a bottle that looks like a gun or other weapon as a previous poster on another thread found out to his cost