We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free In Dublin Airport

3 posts
Save Topic
Duty Free In Dublin Airport

Im Flying form Dublin T2 to Atlanta with Delta then on to Orlando, Can i buy Spirits in Dublin & bring them onBoard with me? if so how do i bring it from Atlanta to Orlando will i be able to pack it in my case in Atlanta for my checked bags or do my cases go direct?

How does the Customs in Dublin T2 work this is my first time travelling from T2 I will have 4 kids with me also so will i need to give myself plenty of time, are the imigration & customs Qs really busy??

Thanks in advance for any help & advice that is given...

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free In Dublin Airport

If you buy duty free in Dublin airport you must ask for the spirits and receipt to be put in a tamper evident bag as you are going to transit and if your bags are on one ticket you shouldn't see your cases again until your final destination.

This at most aiports around the world is good enough to get your spirits through security at the transit destination. Although there are a few exceptions and with your transit destination being in the US and them being a little more eager and cautious and having the now infamous TSA it may be an idea to read up and check on this, but the tamper evident bag has been fine for me when transiting in many country s and bringing interesting vodka s back home.

:-)

Edited: 23 July 2011, 09:39
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free In Dublin Airport

Firstly you need to check if you pre-clear US Customs in Dublin, not the USA... this is used for many Aer Lingus flights to the US. In which case the sale of duty free inflight (if you were pre-cleared in Ireland) is not available on board. And, if you were pre-cleared in Ireland by US customs, the other writer is correct and you do not need to clear customs int he USA as it was done in Ireland. Oddly, if you don't pre-clear, you will have to clear at your first stop in the US and then you can pop the liquids in your checked case. Or just buy liquor in the USA, it is cheaper there anyway! check here... www.dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/territory/99…

ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free In Dublin Airport

hi..how much would it be for 200 benson and hedges at dublin airport going to turkey )non eu)

thanks Gerry

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free In Dublin Airport

E55.00 for 400 last September

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free In Dublin Airport

If you're buying the duty free for yourself when you get back then you could use the "buy and collect" service whereby you don't actually bring your purchases with you but leave it in the airport for when you return.

ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free In Dublin Airport

Thanks all

much appreciated

Dublin
Level Contributor
803 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free In Dublin Airport

<<<< If you're buying the duty free for yourself when you get back then you could use the "buy and collect" service whereby you don't actually bring your purchases with you but leave it in the airport for when you return. >>>>>>

this doesn't apply to cigarettes or alcohol (unfortunately LOL), Its also only for use for pax travelling within the EU.

Shop & Collect

....is a free service

now available for passengers travelling within the EU Shop now before you fly, then simply collect on your return. We will store your purchases for you while you are away and upon your return to the airport, they will be waiting for you at the Shop & Collect collection point in the Arrivals Hall, after you have collected your luggage and cleared customs.

http://www.theloop.ie/Cork/Shop-Collect.aspx

Edited: 03 May 2012, 14:54
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free In Dublin Airport

I flew to Las Vegas last year with Aer Lingus and United via Chicago and asked about this in duty free. Was told that if your connecting the only way you could buy alcohol was if we were flying with American Airlines throughChicago or Delta through JFK as they both have their own terminals in these airports. If your using different carriers you will be changing terminals which causes the problem. Not sure about Atlanta but as it's a Delta hub I would guess you will be fine.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty Free In Dublin Airport

^^^^ It's not the changing of terminals that causes the problem. If you have pre-cleared at Dublin you will not have access to your bags until your final destination.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
888 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty Free In Dublin Airport

If you pre-cleared in DUB then you'll arrive as a domestic passenger. So you won't go through the normal international arrival security (which would confiscate your oversize liquids). Which means the important question is: do you have to go through security again as a domestic passenger to get to your departing flight?

This is where the comment about terminals will have come in, because often different terminals have their own security - but equally, some airports provide an air-side transfer between terminals. It all depends on the airport.